"Jogja Never Ending Asia." Yogyakarta by mary2u99
Yogyakarta Travel Guide: 734 reviews and 1,878 photos
Senior citizens call it Ngayogyakarta; people from East Java and Central Java name it Yogya or Yoja. Yogya is called Jogja in the slogan of Jogja Never Ending Asia. Recently, there is another name: Djokdja. All of the names refer to the same city.
The name Ngayogyakarta existed in 1755 when Mangkubumi Prince whose title was Sri Sultan Hamengku Buwono I founded the Kingdom of Ngayogyakarta Hadiningrat. The kingdom that was built on the Bering Forest area was a realization of Giyanti Agreement with Pakubuwono III from Surakarta.
When it became the capital of Indonesia in 1949, this student city is called Yogyakarta.
Other names such as Yogja, Jogja, Jogya and Yogya came afterwards perhaps from different pronunciation of people from different parts of Indonesia.
This name was used during the Dutch colonial time.
There is a hotel named Grand Hotel de Djokdja at the north end of Malioboro Street during the Dutch colonial time
This hotel is still in operation but it's name have been changes to Inna Garuda.
Different people call Yogyakarta by different names such as Jogja, Jogjakarta, Yogya or even Djokdja.
All those names make Yogyakarta sounds like a city with 1001 names.
- Pros:Nostalgic old city
- In a nutshell:The city with 1001 names.
mary2u99's Related Pages
Yogyakarta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Royal Capital of Indonesia"
- "The cultural authentic heart of Java!"
- "Wonderful people, beautiful city"
- "::Sugeng Rawuh ing Ngayogyakarta Hadiningrat::"
- "Imogiri, a Gateway to Heaven"
- "A Weekend in Jogja"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yogyakarta
- Hotels in Yogyakarta
- Transportation in Yogyakarta
- Nightlife in Yogyakarta
- Restaurants in Yogyakarta
- Shopping in Yogyakarta
- Warnings and Dangers in Yogyakarta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yogyakarta
- 1 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Yogyakarta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yogyakarta
Top 10 Pages
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 29 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 28 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuantan Intro, 25 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sandakan Intro, 13 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Winterswijk Intro, 12 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 12 reviews, 54 photos
- Melaka Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos
- Chiang Mai Intro, 9 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Krabi Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos