"Beautiful Historic Suburb of Chicago" Top 5 Page for this destination Oak Park by LauraWest
Oak Park Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 148 photos
I grew up in O. P. but we moved away 30 yrs. ago. I no longer have any family living here. If you go to Chicago, and have an interest in Frank Lloyd Wright or Ernest Hemingway, stop for an afternoon.
Or find a lodging here. Just over the border West of Chicago, it is very convenient and quieter. Being a very old suburb, it has more a feeling of a city/town than the average American suburb. Yet the number of trees is amazing. Very beautiful place to live & visit, with its own unique character. In all my travels & residences, I've never found any place quite like it!
I relish each visit I make. I have learned that the place I grew up in is unique in the world. I view the familar, with pleasure and renewed memory and appreciation. I enjoy seeing the changes, too, mostly.
My brother visited our old home town this October, for a couple days. He found it so changed, since his last visit, over 20 years ago. So many businesses and buildings had disappeared or had been completely altered. The place of his memory he, barely, found. He sent me this photo of the front entrance of the little library I remember SO well from my childhood, the Maze Branch Library, in south Oak Park. It still looks the same, as it did in the early 1950's!! Memories are very early, of walking there when I was only four years old. I remember signing my name into their big book, at 5, in order to get my own library card! What a thrill that was. Of course, I remember all the books I loved then, too, and so much more. I still love public libraries. and use them often. Don't you think they tell so much about a place?
We knew it as Barrie Playground, when we were only about a block away, as children. I have so many, many memories of the... more travel advice
Lake Street is "the best" for an old large suburban/urban downtown. You probably wouldn't go wrong at any of the many... more travel advice
LauraWest's Related Pages
Oak Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Cultural and Educational Trip to Oak Park"
- "The town that Frank Lloyd Wright built"
- "Beautiful Historic Suburb of Chicago"
- "It's all about Frank ..."
- "Me and Ernest Hemingway"
- "Frank Lloyd Wright's House & Studio"
- "Oak Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oak Park
- Hotels in Oak Park
- Transportation in Oak Park
- Restaurants in Oak Park
- Shopping in Oak Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Oak Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oak Park
- 6 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Oak Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oak Park
- Posted in Travel Saint Louis Forum "Re: is amtrak station area seedy?..."
- Commented on one of lgreco's Oak Park travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Experience a Community Center"
- Wrote a Review Experience a Community Center in Oak Park Things to Do
- updated a Oak Park Travel Page "Beautiful Historic Suburb of Chicago"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Louis Intro, 52 reviews, 45 photos
- San Diego Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Arles Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Paris Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumberland Island Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- London Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kilkenny Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Dublin Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Florence Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oak Park Intro, 6 reviews, 3 photos