"Beautiful Historic Suburb of Chicago" Top 5 Page for this destination Oak Park by LauraWest

Oak Park Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 148 photos

Viewing Childhood Home As A Tourist

I grew up in O. P. but we moved away 30 yrs. ago. I no longer have any family living here. If you go to Chicago, and have an interest in Frank Lloyd Wright or Ernest Hemingway, stop for an afternoon.

Or find a lodging here. Just over the border West of Chicago, it is very convenient and quieter. Being a very old suburb, it has more a feeling of a city/town than the average American suburb. Yet the number of trees is amazing. Very beautiful place to live & visit, with its own unique character. In all my travels & residences, I've never found any place quite like it!

I relish each visit I make. I have learned that the place I grew up in is unique in the world. I view the familar, with pleasure and renewed memory and appreciation. I enjoy seeing the changes, too, mostly.

My brother visited our old home town this October, for a couple days. He found it so changed, since his last visit, over 20 years ago. So many businesses and buildings had disappeared or had been completely altered. The place of his memory he, barely, found. He sent me this photo of the front entrance of the little library I remember SO well from my childhood, the Maze Branch Library, in south Oak Park. It still looks the same, as it did in the early 1950's!! Memories are very early, of walking there when I was only four years old. I remember signing my name into their big book, at 5, in order to get my own library card! What a thrill that was. Of course, I remember all the books I loved then, too, and so much more. I still love public libraries. and use them often. Don't you think they tell so much about a place?

• Last visit to Oak Park: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Dec 11, 2006

• Jun 6, 2007 at 3:05 PM

I beg to differ. Papaspyros lacks a lot in authenticity. For example the "keftedes" they serve are grilled ground beef patties rather than floured and fried. It's an ok restaurant but far from serving "great greek food in the midwest".

• Wendy67's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2007 at 9:46 AM

I lived in Oak Park for a few years when I first moved north into the suburbs. Love the city - amazing how much the Lake Street area has grown!!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2007 at 9:05 AM

Oak Park is a wonderful neighborhood. I took a quick pass through when in Chicago years ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Reminds me of Edgewood, which is one neighborhood over from mine. Only...we have Narragansett Bay at the end of the streets.

• aadil's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2005 at 6:02 AM

I went all the way to Chicago and did not visit this place. Maybe next time around now!!! Great to know about the Frank Lloyd Wright museum and studio. Thanks for sharing on VT!!!

LauraWest Used To Live Here!

LauraWest

“Every weapon is a boomerang.”

Badges & Stats in Oak Park

Have you been to Oak Park?