"Getting Away" Top 5 Page for this destination Cumberland Island by LauraWest
Cumberland Island Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 150 photos
Cumberland Island National Seashore is one of those places you hesitate to tell the world about, because you don't want it to be impossible to make reservations the next time you want to go! It was the lowest cost USA vacation I ever took that got me out of my normal routine in an Extreme Way. And that was a good thing.
There's limit to the number of people allowed in the park. Most come by ferry ($15 RT for adults), for a portion of the day. The rest get to camp, for only $5 per person each night. You need to bring all your own groceries and supplies. There's no store there to purchase supplies.
I am already planning my next trip there! - Update on this remark: with the state of gas prices and guilt induced at the idea of driving over a thousand miles each way to get to this island's ferry dock, it may be a long, longtime before I get back...so sad.
- Pros:Not many people
- Cons:Cold showers at campground! Someone else mentioned mosquitoes, try November,to avoid them!
- In a nutshell:A great place to get away from the Rat Race & watch armadillos !!
This is true at some other beaches I have visited, recently. They have signs that tell you not to walk on the dunes. And... more travel advice
After we got off the ferry, we borrowed one of the carts to bring our stuff to our reserved camp site. I was so struck... more travel advice
LauraWest's Related Pages
Cumberland Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beaches and Reaches"
- "What a beautiful island!!"
- "Nature, History .... or the Beach, your Choice"
- "Getting Away"
- "Cumberland Island"
- "2003 November 22 0vernight to St. Mary's Inlet"
- "luv2learn's Cumberland Island Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cumberland Island
- Hotels in Cumberland Island
- Transportation in Cumberland Island
- Nightlife in Cumberland Island
- Restaurants in Cumberland Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Cumberland Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cumberland Island
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Cumberland Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cumberland Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Louis Intro, 52 reviews, 45 photos
- San Diego Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Arles Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Paris Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumberland Island Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- London Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kilkenny Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Dublin Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Florence Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oak Park Intro, 6 reviews, 3 photos