"Side trip to the Konigsee" Schönau am Königssee by Peterodl

Schönau am Königssee Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 60 photos

I went to Schonau am Konigsee on a local bus from Berchtesgaden (4.5 km away) on March 22, 2005 to go take the Jennerbahn cable car up to the top for the views.
I didn't go on it because I felt it was too expensive for just to take it to have a view so I went down to the lake shore and took the boat service to the St. Bartholowmew chapel built in 1134.

The boat service has used electric boats since 1909 to preserve the quality of the lake which is so clean you can drink straight from it.
St. Bartholowmew chapel is outstanding and I had a very nice Mass (1 litre beer) at the restaurant in the former Royal Hunting Lodge of the Kings of Bavaria.

After the boat ride back to the town of Konigsee, I went shopping around and grabbed a nice ice cream cone and tried on hats.
The 1 litre of beer and all the water surrounding me (the lake, melting, dripping snow) was starting to get to me and I thankfully found a rest stop next to the tour bus parking lot.
I walked back to Berchtesgaden which is only 4.5 km away and enjoyed the views of the countryside some more.

• Pros:Great views, outstanding location, crystal clear lake, great shops, Jennerbahn cable lift
  • Cons:McDonalds advertisments are everywhere.
  • In a nutshell:Beautiful little village close to Berchtesgaden.
  • Last visit to Schönau am Königssee: Mar 2005
  • Intro Written Sep 1, 2005

Peterodl

“See as much as possible, you can get tired later”

Badges & Stats in Schönau am Königssee

Have you been to Schönau am Königssee?

Latest Activity in Schönau am Königssee