"Une jeune voyageuse" alvi21's Profile
I love to travel, and I like to be close to the sea. I've lived most of my life on island cities – Penang in Malaysia and Singapore.
I am no longer living near the coast now, but I managed trips to the East coast – Boston, New York City, and Washington DC, and the West coast – San Francisco and Los Angeles.
In the spring of 2004, I got an all-expenses-paid trip to Kyoto and Nara in Japan, and to Shanghai and Suzhou in China. That was exciting!
I love art and culture, food, and music especially.
My current plan is to gradually "conquer" the main regions of the United States before moving on to a different country – hopefully somewhere in Europe? I have been in the Midwest for many years now. Both the East and West coasts as well as the Southwestern region have been partly "conquered".
I wonder where my next destination would be... provided I have enough money to travel some more :)
Please feel free to visit my completed Travel Pages:
• Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
• Zhouzhuang, China
• Washington DC, United States (Part 1 of 3)
• Washington DC, United States (Part 2 of 3)
• Washington DC, United States (Part 3 of 3)
• New York City, New York, United States (Part 1 of 2)
• New York City, New York, United States (Part 2 of 2)
• Niagara Falls State Park, New York, United States (Part 1 of 2)
• Niagara Falls State Park, New York, United States (Part 2 of 2)
• Buffalo, New York, United States (Part 1 of 2)
• Buffalo, New York, United States (Part 2 of 2)
• Cincinnati, Ohio, United States (Part 1 of 2)
• Cincinnati, Ohio, United States (Part 2 of 2)
• Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona, United States
• Crater Lake National Park, Oregon, United States
• Lava Beds National Monument, California, United States
• Humboldt Redwoods State Park, California, United States
• Appleton, Wisconsin, United States
• Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
• Oshkosh, Wisconsin, United States
• Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
The following are short blurbs about a few American cultures that I've experienced and would like to share with the rest of the VT community.
In the United States, Thanksgiving is usually celebrated by enjoying a huge feast with family and friends. Traditional dishes at Thanksgiving include roast turkey, gravy, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, etc.
Since Thanksgiving occurs about a month prior to Christmas, and family members and friends are all gathered together, Thanksgiving is also the perfect opportunity to begin Christmas decorations, of which the Christmas tree is the focal point.
Decorating eggs is an Easter activity enjoyed by both children and adults alike. The simplest way to decorate the eggs is by painting them, using special food-grade dyes. Elaborate designs on Easter eggs are quite common too, although usually done for commercial purposes.
Strawberry picking is a fun-filled family event in the summer. Visitors are allowed to pick their own strawberries from private strawberry farms. The picked strawberries are then weighed and paid for.
The strawberries can be mashed up to be made into jam or for strawberry shortcake. To keep leftover strawberries for use later in the year, simply wash, seal, and freeze them.
With origins from Germany, bratwursts (commonly known as "brats") are a local Wisconsin favorite, in addition to beer and cheese. Brats are often grilled outdoors in the summer, and is commonly found at picnics and football game tailgate cookouts.
4th of July (U.S. Independence Day) celebrations would not be complete without impressive fireworks displays. No matter how many pyrotechnic shows one has experienced, be it at New Year's celebrations, at Niagara Falls, or at Disneyland, fireworks displays always manage to captivate audiences time and again.
Winters in Wisconsin begin as early as late-October and end as late as mid-April, thus making fall and spring rather negligible seasons. Apart from the overwhelming subzero temperatures, freezing cold winds, disgusting wet and dirty snow on the streets, and slippery and treacherous ice on the sidewalks, winters can potentially be quite lovely and enjoyable.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 22 Reviews
- 94 Photos
- 1 Countries
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
- Posted in Travel Albany Forum "Re: Albany area off the beaten..."
- alvi21 and DarkRay are now friends.
updated their Profile Page "Une jeune voyageuse"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Lawrence University"
- updated a Neenah Travel Page "Neenah – Lake Winnebago never looked better"
- Commented on Tugboatguy's profile page
- Wrote a Review Mediterranean haute cuisine! in Appleton Restaurants
PhotosSee All Photos (94)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Appleton Intro, 13 reviews, 5 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 1 review, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cincinnati Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Niagara Falls Intro, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Neenah Intro, 5 reviews, 3 photos
- Buffalo Intro, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Milwaukee Intro, 3 photos
- Lava Beds National Monument Intro, 3 photos
- Humboldt Redwoods State Park Intro, 3 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22161 Reviews - 53866 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3079 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15523 Reviews - 30893 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23058 Reviews - 47256 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26470 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8346 Reviews - 17013 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1908 Reviews - 4459 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4278 Reviews - 8803 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7630 Reviews - 19467 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos