"Went for a few days and spent five months!" Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City by planxty
Dumaguete City Travel Guide: 215 reviews and 550 photos
I suppose the title of this page says it all really.
After having attended an excellent pre-meet in Manila in January 2012. hosted so charmingly by the VT members there, many of us foreign visitors headed off South to Boracay for what was a simply brilliant VT meet although I was unfortunately indisposed for the main even, the Ati Atihan festival in Kalibo. It was still a great time though.
Not having a plan as such (I rarely do when I travel) I accepted member buenababe's very kind offer to spend a few days in %L[http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/8c781/1588d6/]Bacolod, and very pleasant they turned out to be, including Chinese New Year. After a few great days there, it came time to move on and I asked Buena for a suggestion as to where to go. She informed me that I might like %L[http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/8c781/756/]Dumaguete, a city on the Souteast coast of the same island (Negros). Seven hours on a bus and I was there. Great but it was here that the travel plan became slightly unravelled. I ended up extending my ticket, spent five months there and made some very good friends. I also survived a 6.9 magnitude earthquake, watched as one typhoon avoided us and two tropical storms failed to turn into typhoons and did a very good job of trying to kill myself and a friend by introducing a motorbike, her and I to a telegraph pole, an incident of which I remember nothing, even now.
I ended up flying back from Dumaguete to Manila where I spent a few days,
The occasional regular reader of my pages will konow that I am a stickler for putting tips in the right places so may I suggest you look at my Bacong page for accommodation and other tips and my Apolong, Dauin, Sibulan and Valencia pages for further information. These places are all effectively suburbs of Dumaguete and I could easily have included the information as "off the beaten path" for Dumaguete but well, you know what I'm like.
There is no doubt that Dumaguete is very much an expats "haven" and I have heard sources who should know claiming between 8,000 and 12'000 either permantnet or semi-permanent foreigners living here, many with Filipina girlfriends or wives. I would think it is probablly not typical of the country as a whole but it is a very comfortable and inexpensive place for the foreigner to live. Whether or not this is your thing, I'll let you decide but it is certainly a safe and pleasant city. I'll be going back!
I had initially intended to leave Dumaguete (eventually after some months) by bus and ferry and make my way overland... more travel advice
One of the places most talked about by expats in the Philippines is the Immigration Office. Certainly expats seem to... more travel advice
planxty's Related Pages
Dumaguete City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dumaguete - City of Gentle People"
- "Went for a few days and spent five months!"
- "Melting Pot"
- "Dumaguete, indeed the City of Gentle People"
- "Dumaguete City as a Hometown"
- "A Tribute to the City of Gentle People"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dumaguete City
- Hotels in Dumaguete City
- Transportation in Dumaguete City
- Nightlife in Dumaguete City
- Restaurants in Dumaguete City
- Shopping in Dumaguete City
- Warnings and Dangers in Dumaguete City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dumaguete City
- 29 Reviews
- 104 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (198)
Have you been to Dumaguete City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dumaguete City
Photos in Dumaguete CitySee All Photos (104)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 229 reviews, 810 photos, 41 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 35 reviews, 177 photos, 6 travelogues
- Halifax Intro, 37 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 45 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sherbrooke Intro, 10 reviews, 134 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos