"Went for a few days and spent five months!" Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City by planxty

Dumaguete City Travel Guide: 213 reviews and 537 photos

I suppose the title of this page says it all really.

After having attended an excellent pre-meet in Manila in January 2012. hosted so charmingly by the VT members there, many of us foreign visitors headed off South to Boracay for what was a simply brilliant VT meet although I was unfortunately indisposed for the main even, the Ati Atihan festival in Kalibo. It was still a great time though.

Not having a plan as such (I rarely do when I travel) I accepted member buenababe's very kind offer to spend a few days in %L[http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/8c781/1588d6/]Bacolod, and very pleasant they turned out to be, including Chinese New Year. After a few great days there, it came time to move on and I asked Buena for a suggestion as to where to go. She informed me that I might like %L[http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/8c781/756/]Dumaguete, a city on the Souteast coast of the same island (Negros). Seven hours on a bus and I was there. Great but it was here that the travel plan became slightly unravelled. I ended up extending my ticket, spent five months there and made some very good friends. I also survived a 6.9 magnitude earthquake, watched as one typhoon avoided us and two tropical storms failed to turn into typhoons and did a very good job of trying to kill myself and a friend by introducing a motorbike, her and I to a telegraph pole, an incident of which I remember nothing, even now.

I ended up flying back from Dumaguete to Manila where I spent a few days,

The occasional regular reader of my pages will konow that I am a stickler for putting tips in the right places so may I suggest you look at my Bacong page for accommodation and other tips and my Apolong, Dauin, Sibulan and Valencia pages for further information. These places are all effectively suburbs of Dumaguete and I could easily have included the information as "off the beaten path" for Dumaguete but well, you know what I'm like.

There is no doubt that Dumaguete is very much an expats "haven" and I have heard sources who should know claiming between 8,000 and 12'000 either permantnet or semi-permanent foreigners living here, many with Filipina girlfriends or wives. I would think it is probablly not typical of the country as a whole but it is a very comfortable and inexpensive place for the foreigner to live. Whether or not this is your thing, I'll let you decide but it is certainly a safe and pleasant city. I'll be going back!

• Last visit to Dumaguete City: Jul 2012
  • Intro Updated Jul 22, 2012

• alza's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2013 at 8:36 AM

thanks Fergy! Your Dumaguete page really brings us there. Very good restaurant reviews, I just had to stop when I got to Calda Pizza & confused it with previous tip for Canto (the franchise)... Picked up a few British expressions here. :)

• planxty's Profile Photo
      Apr 21, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Thanks for you kind words, Lou. I really do love that place. fegry.

• machomikemd's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2012 at 2:21 AM

nice dumaguete restaurant review my friend. you can also eat at the Hayahay Treehouse at flores avenue near the seaside for a regional Negrense Cuisine and sea foods.

• TrendsetterME's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Nice and helpful tip for the "Immigration Office" in Duma ... :)

planxty

“Where's the bar?”

Badges & Stats in Dumaguete City

Have you been to Dumaguete City?

Latest Activity in Dumaguete City