"Wonderful, historic city." Top 5 Page for this destination Szczecin by planxty
Szczecin Travel Guide: 306 reviews and 1,141 photos
I last visited Poland in 1992 and had a wonderful time there. I'd always promised myself i would return some time. I had not, however, been to the North of the country before. My ex-girlfriend saw that Ryanair, a low-cost, no frills airline, had recently opened up a new route and were offering ridiculously cheap tickets. She promptly booked two, got a good deal on a hotel, and on Friday night we duly trotted off to Szczecin for a couple of nights. We had a wonderful time.
Polish hospitality is legendary, and this certainly has not changed, although so much else has in the 13 years since my last visit. The town itself is pleasant, with some beautiful old buildings, many of which seem to be undergoing repair at the minute. I get the impression generally that there is a lot of work going on. Whether or not this is a result of Poland's recent EU accession, I don't know, but there is a very real sense of regeneration about the place.
Szczecin does not, as yet, seem very geared to tourism, although I think this will undoubtedly change as appears absolutely inevitable with the coming of a low-cost airline to any destination. I sincerely hope it doesn't degenerate into a boozy stag weekend destination for drunken idiots - that would be a shame.
Szczecin sits astride the Odra (Oder in German) river in the Northwest of Poland, close to the Baltic Sea, and is the capital of the recently created Western Pomerania province. It's extremely strategic position has meant that, over the centuries, it has been a very important trading port and also that it has been invaded on numerous occasions. I suppose the two are fairly inextricably linked in European history! The Danes, Swedes, Germans and Brandenburgers have all roamed through here at one time or another.
The most recent conflict, the Second World War, left the town devastated, not least by Allied bombing, and rebuilding has been going on more or less ever since.
In the post-war period, like the rest of Poland, the town was under the control of the Soviet bloc, a situation which only came to an end in the late 1970's with the Solidarnosc (Solidarity) movement leading to the Soviet withdrawal and the situation now where Poland has joined the EU and is looking forward to a future in the heart of Europe again.
- Pros:Friendly people, superb restaurants, good architecture.
- Cons:Can be VERY cold in winter!
- In a nutshell:A great place for a short break.
I know it might sound almost superfluous to say this, but if you are visiting in winter, bring gear like that in the... more travel advice
Another building noted on the tourist red route guide (number 33), this is the palce to go if you need to send that... more travel advice
- Fly from London.
- Obey the signs.
- All hands to the pump.
- Christmas market.
planxty's Related Pages
Szczecin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Szczecin - a nice place to visit and live."
- "Wonderful, historic city."
- "Szczecin - the city worth visiting"
- "Very interesting city."
- "Szczecin - a capital of Pomerania"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Szczecin
- Hotels in Szczecin
- Transportation in Szczecin
- Nightlife in Szczecin
- Restaurants in Szczecin
- Shopping in Szczecin
- Warnings and Dangers in Szczecin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Szczecin
- 25 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (226)
Have you been to Szczecin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Szczecin
Photos in SzczecinSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 253 reviews, 952 photos, 50 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 41 reviews, 202 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 53 reviews, 158 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 37 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sherbrooke Intro, 10 reviews, 134 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 26 reviews, 108 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues