"Wonderful, historic city." Top 5 Page for this destination Szczecin by planxty

Szczecin Travel Guide: 304 reviews and 1,138 photos

A great weekend break.

I last visited Poland in 1992 and had a wonderful time there. I'd always promised myself i would return some time. I had not, however, been to the North of the country before. My ex-girlfriend saw that Ryanair, a low-cost, no frills airline, had recently opened up a new route and were offering ridiculously cheap tickets. She promptly booked two, got a good deal on a hotel, and on Friday night we duly trotted off to Szczecin for a couple of nights. We had a wonderful time.

Polish hospitality is legendary, and this certainly has not changed, although so much else has in the 13 years since my last visit. The town itself is pleasant, with some beautiful old buildings, many of which seem to be undergoing repair at the minute. I get the impression generally that there is a lot of work going on. Whether or not this is a result of Poland's recent EU accession, I don't know, but there is a very real sense of regeneration about the place.

Szczecin does not, as yet, seem very geared to tourism, although I think this will undoubtedly change as appears absolutely inevitable with the coming of a low-cost airline to any destination. I sincerely hope it doesn't degenerate into a boozy stag weekend destination for drunken idiots - that would be a shame.

A little bit about the place.

Szczecin sits astride the Odra (Oder in German) river in the Northwest of Poland, close to the Baltic Sea, and is the capital of the recently created Western Pomerania province. It's extremely strategic position has meant that, over the centuries, it has been a very important trading port and also that it has been invaded on numerous occasions. I suppose the two are fairly inextricably linked in European history! The Danes, Swedes, Germans and Brandenburgers have all roamed through here at one time or another.

The most recent conflict, the Second World War, left the town devastated, not least by Allied bombing, and rebuilding has been going on more or less ever since.

In the post-war period, like the rest of Poland, the town was under the control of the Soviet bloc, a situation which only came to an end in the late 1970's with the Solidarnosc (Solidarity) movement leading to the Soviet withdrawal and the situation now where Poland has joined the EU and is looking forward to a future in the heart of Europe again.

• Pros:Friendly people, superb restaurants, good architecture.
  • Cons:Can be VERY cold in winter!
  • In a nutshell:A great place for a short break.
  • Last visit to Szczecin: Dec 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 28, 2012

• J4r0's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Dear Fergy, please accept late, yet best birthday wishes! I haven't been here for 2 years, so I guess it's time to restart my activity. But hey, it's not that I wasn't working on anything during that time - my Szczecin guidebook'll be published soon!

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Very informative page that I enjoyed reading. Thanks for sharing with us ;-)

• Jawnuta's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2008 at 11:32 PM

About Christmas market. It is open all year long and we call it flower market. You can get there all kinds of plants for your home or garden as well as cut flowers. If you visit Pol in his house always bring something flowerlike for lady of the house.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2007 at 11:43 AM

Great pages . WE are just sarting to plan our trip for June . Thanks for sharing!

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2007 at 3:38 AM

great page with lots of good info - thanks for sharing

• Pixiekatten's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2007 at 4:30 PM

Great detailed page with helpful tips and fab pictures! :)) Thanks for sharing! -Malena

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2006 at 1:06 PM

Well done tips and photos (even with the old camera). We had a couple of seamen from Szczecin stay with us for 6 months before returning home. Always meant to go visit them and after reading this I will!

• gosiaPL's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2006 at 9:47 PM

Great page, I really enjoyed reading it through. Shame to admit, I've never been to Szczecin... and I live in Poland. Time to head that way, I guess!

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2006 at 6:34 AM

Your comment re: languages made me laugh. There have been times, when in the Netherlands, when I can swear I understand them!

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2006 at 9:37 AM

Fergy, without your page on VT and your comment on my page I would have never even know this city existed. Now I will have to include it on my itinerary when I visit Krakow. Thank you and Mrs._p also.

planxty

“Where's the bar?”

Badges & Stats in Szczecin

Have you been to Szczecin?

Latest Activity in Szczecin