"Right in the middle." Top 5 Page for this destination Utrecht by planxty

Utrecht Travel Guide: 633 reviews and 1,541 photos

A great base to explore from.

I have been to Holland / the Netherlands (I'm never sure which is correct) on a number of occasions, and have visited a number of towns and cities. Surprisingly, though, I had only ever passed through Utrecht on a train before.

I visited recently in order to go to some gigs and was really impressed with the place. It is a very beautiful city with plenty to do and see and a host of good restaurants and bars to refresh yourself in. As elsewhere in Holland, I found the people to be friendly and welcoming and, certainly amongst younger people, excellent English speakers.

Lying in the centre of the country, it is a mere 50 minutes from Schipol airport, with excellent rail connections. I would certainly recommend it as a base from which to explore Holland.

• Pros:Nice architecture and friendly people.
  • Cons:Can be cold in winter. Homicidal cyclists!
  • Last visit to Utrecht: Nov 2005
  • Intro Updated Dec 4, 2005

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2011 at 2:19 PM

I enjoyed reading your tips on Utrecht, a city I hadn't considered visiting before. It does seem like a central place from which to see the rest that the Netherlands has to offer. Thanks for visiting my Sliema page!

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2009 at 3:38 AM

Another great page that is going to help me have a fantastic holiday, thanks ;-)

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2006 at 5:57 PM

The Railroad Museum would have definitely been a destination we would have chosen...after the museums--are there any?? Enjoyed your pages, Fergy. Regards from Texas.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2006 at 8:45 AM

Thanks for dropping by Fergy. I enjoyed reminiscing here about Utrecht, a lovely city. And you're so right about Cafe Belgie!

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2006 at 9:19 PM

Excellent and useful tips. Seems like a great town to visit for trainlovers.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2006 at 3:46 AM

Excellent tips and photos, fergy! Great work! Utrecht is my favourite city in the Netherlands so far, but sadly I never discovered Cafe Belgie - definitely a "must visit" for next time!

• catnl's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2005 at 2:29 AM

exellent tips about Utrecht, great pictures 2, i know the place at Hoog Catherijnen , a friend of mine lived at Utrecht for some years, always great to have a beer when traveling:-) and than for youre comment

• Dec 4, 2005 at 6:35 PM

I'll definitely climb the Tower as I have never met a tower that hasn't called out my name. However, it would have to be before the beer. Since husband hates stairs, he can wait at the pub. Thank you for the great tips.

• Nov 23, 2005 at 12:26 AM

Hey this page is coming on nicely now Fergy!! I am sooo glad you found the Cafe Belgie too!! Great place isn't it? :))

planxty

“Where's the bar?”

Badges & Stats in Utrecht

Have you been to Utrecht?

Latest Activity in Utrecht