"Small, famous, expensive and worth a visit." Monte-Carlo by planxty
Monte-Carlo Travel Guide: 130 reviews and 523 photos
Let's be honest, Monte Carlo has become an international byword for opulence, and it certainly does not disappoint. Nestled amongst the rocks of the French Riviera, an independent principality surrounded by France, it is a mere 1.95 kilometres in area. Ruled by the Grimaldi family since the 13th century, it is famous for it's casino and the fairytale story of Prince Rainier and the former Grace Kelly, the Hollywood star.
I only spent a day there on a side trip from the Ligurian coast of Italy, and it was certainly an experience, although unless your wallet is large it might not be a good idea to spend too much time there. Certainly worth a visit if you are in the area.
I have added a few photographs to give you an idea of the place.
This is the Town Hall (Mairie) and a very fine building it is as you can see.
I spotted this delightful statuette set into the wall of a building.
- Pros:Lovely climate, clean and safe, pleasant atmosphere.
- Cons:Very expensive.
Unfortunately, when I visited it was not possible to go into the Prince's Palace and State Apartments, to give them... more travel advice
Driving into Monte Carlo and finding space in a carpark (in itself no mean feat), almost the first thing I saw was the... more travel advice
planxty's Related Pages
Monte-Carlo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Monte Carlo - Glitter and Glamour"
- "Another world"
- "Monaco- a place to be- for Income tax réfugés"
- "Monte Carlo"
- "The Principality of Monaco"
- "Monaco - small country, big impressions"
- "Small, famous, expensive and worth a visit."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monte-Carlo
- Hotels in Monte-Carlo
- Transportation in Monte-Carlo
- Nightlife in Monte-Carlo
- Restaurants in Monte-Carlo
- Shopping in Monte-Carlo
- Warnings and Dangers in Monte-Carlo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Monte-Carlo
- 4 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (104)
Have you been to Monte-Carlo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monte-Carlo
Photos in Monte-CarloSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 229 reviews, 791 photos, 38 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 35 reviews, 177 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 45 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos
- Durham Intro, 20 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 33 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue