"Take time out from Paphos." Kouklia by planxty
Kouklia Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 14 photos
Kouklia is a small village a mere fifteen minute (9 mile) drive from the busy tourist resort of Paphos, famous primarily for the Paleopafos archaeological site, which is listed as a UNESCO heritage site. The site is well worth a visit, as is the ancient Church.
The ancient village is supposed to have been founded by one Agaperon who had fought in the Trojan wars.
There is a pleasant local legend that tells of King Pygmalion carving a statue of Aphrodite that was so beautiful he fell in love with it. The goddess Aphrodite turned the statue into a real woman and Pygmalion had a son by her who was named Paphos, giving rise to the name of the place.
Do yourself a favour and take a morning away from the pool to visit this interesting place.
- Pros:A fascinating ancient site of great importance.
- Cons:Difficult to get to if you are not driving.
- In a nutshell:Get yourself away from the pool for a while and get some culture.
If you have visited the Paleopafos UNESCO heritage site, you may well just jump into your car and head back into Paphos... more travel advice
planxty's Related Pages
Kouklia Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kouklia
- 3 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (66)
Have you been to Kouklia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kouklia
Photos in KoukliaSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 220 reviews, 562 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 38 reviews, 89 photos, 2 travelogues
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 33 reviews, 78 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 22 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Armagh Intro, 20 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues
- Manila Intro, 21 reviews, 80 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brno Intro, 20 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bristol Intro, 15 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues