"I like Larnaca." Top 5 Page for this destination Larnaca by planxty

Larnaca Travel Guide: 284 reviews and 777 photos

An idea, once upon a time.

I visited Larnaca many times when I was with my ex-girlfriend, a Greek Cypriot. I have visited many times, and I really love the relaxed pace of life there. The weather isn't bad either, and with the sea breeze it doesn't get as oppressively hot as Lefkosia (Nicosia).

The above was written in 2003 and still holds true. On my most recent visit in April 2007, I did, however, notice many changes in the place. It is certainly expanding rapidly, and property prices seem to be spiralling. Additionally, with Cyprus now being part of the seemingly permanently expanding EU, you are far more likely to be served in a bar by a Lithuanian, Slovak or Pole than you are by a Cypriot. I know this is causing some resentment locally but is, I suppose, the way modern Europe is evolving, if evolving is the correct word.

Restaurants and bars come and go, but some of my old favourites are still there and I've found one or two great new places. Unfortunately, due to personal circumstances, as alluded to above, I doubt I will ever be able to return to Cyprus, which is a shame. The reader, however, should go there if at all possible, it is a great place.

• Pros:Good climate, friendly people, relaxed pace.
  • Cons:Can't think of any.
  • In a nutshell:I had thought of retiring there.
  • Last visit to Larnaca: Apr 2007
  • Intro Updated Jul 3, 2009

• Chickytrick's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Thank you for your review and tips on Larnaka. I have been to Cyprus many times, but never spent time in Larnaka ( only in the airport:). ). I think it could be a good idea to spend at least 3-4 days there. Cyprus is one of my fafourite places and my first travel page is devoted to this island ( nearly finished).

• planxty's Profile Photo
      Oct 21, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Thank you so much for your kind comments. Many people tend to ignore Larnaca and head straight for the coast, expecially round Paphos but it is really worth a look. I shall have a look at your pages now. fergy

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2011 at 8:45 AM

So many interesting tips for Larnaca. Nice guide. Keep the good work up my friend.

• Dec 3, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Hya all, My wife and I went to Jimmys on recomendation, and went back every day whilst we were there. Very friendly, accomodating, tasty. We will be going back when we return to Larnaca. I cant praise this Jimmys enough. Good luck

• adema29's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2009 at 2:22 PM

We have been here in 2001 and we loved the place in that time. It was first real trip we have made. If you want to remain here for retirement, keep in your mind that the global warming is not a joke... just in case

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2009 at 1:07 PM

I enjoyed seeing s Cypress through your eyes. Good pages!

• Oct 13, 2008 at 5:17 PM

i went to this jewelery shop and it's one of the most expensive ones. I bought a diamond ring. Two months later one of the stones came off, i called them andt hey told me that it was my fault and refused to help!I do not recommend you going there!

• Dyesebel's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2007 at 9:48 AM

Hi Fergy!I didn't go to Larnaca except at the airport;) enjoyed my stay there, it was windy but warm enough to go swimming or sunbathing.Hope to visit again someday!

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2006 at 6:54 AM

Larnaka is developing fast..and it is a nice place to be, though June was a bit hot, even for me.

planxty Visits Here Frequently!

planxty

“Where's the bar?”

Badges & Stats in Larnaca

Have you been to Larnaca?

Latest Activity in Larnaca