"The Battle of Battle?" Top 5 Page for this destination Battle by planxty

Battle Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 136 photos

Well, the name sort of gives it away really. The village of Battle in the beautiful Sussex countryside is actually the site of the so-called Battle of Hastings, perhaps the most famous battle in English history. It was here that Duc William of Normandy defeated King Harald and the Saxons (with Harald dying in the process, shot in the eye allegedly) and thereby irrevocably changing English culture.

Nowadays the battlefield and the attached Battle Abbey are the village's prime attractions and draw many visitors. There is definitely a touristy feel to the place, which is reflected in the prices, but it is still a must see for anyone at all interested in English history.

Sorry about the flash reflection in this one, but I just loved the picture through the mullioned widow.

• Pros:A classic historical site.
  • Cons:Slightly touristy and expensive - can get crowded.
  • In a nutshell:A must see for history buffs.
  • Last visit to Battle: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 5, 2005

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Now you've started me thinking I need to take a daytrip....

• planxty's Profile Photo
      Aug 23, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Really worth doing, the actual battle site, run by English Heritage, is well worth a look. You can get one of those audio guide things which are excellent. Remind me sometime to tell you about how the "Norman Invasion" was actually a war between three (yes three) Vikings!

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2011 at 2:45 AM

I just found your recent posting in the forum regarding daytrips from London and found it so helpful as I'm planning to go there next year! Battle looks very interesting. I will have a look at all your "daytrip pages" during the next days :-)

• edding's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2007 at 3:33 PM

I was in Battle in February, 2006 and had lunch here. The food was very good, the ambience was great and I did sit next to the roaring fire. Very welcome on a chilly February day. All in all I had a very pleasant several days in Battle.

• mustertal's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2006 at 3:50 AM

I remeber taking my son here years ago,when he was doing History . Nice page.

• Sep 10, 2005 at 11:44 AM

I prefer the Kings Head to the Senlac Inn ;-) -another great page Fergy!!

planxty