"A huge amount of history." Bristol by planxty

Bristol Travel Guide: 748 reviews and 1,671 photos

I can't believe it took so long.

Bristol is an important city in Britain, with a huge amount of history and the major centre for the Southwest of England. Surprising, therefore, that I had never spent a night there until October 2009 when I decided to visit for a couple of days break. I am very glad I did. Despite some fairly dismal weather, as reflected in the photography, I had a tremendous couple of days.

Bristol has always been a mercantile place based on easy access to the sea and it's wealth and importance were largely built on trade, right back to Anglo-Saxon times when the place was called Brigstowe (the place by the bridge). It's heyday came in the mid 18th century when it was the second largest city in England when ships coming from all over the world arrived here carrying tobacco, rum, cocoa, sugar and many other commodities. The docks remain very much the centre of the city today, although they would be scarcely recognisable to those old seafarers, being now a predominantly leisure area with cafes, bars, art galleries, museums and so on.

For overseas visitors, Bristol may not be automatically on the list of places to visit but there is certainly plenty to see and do for a couple of days and good transport links make it easily accessible. I hope to return soon.

On a VT note, I can't believe I still haven't constructed my tips and will rectify that in the next few days.

• Pros:Plenty to do, good transport links.
  • Cons:None I can think of.
  • In a nutshell:Well worth a couple of days trip.
  • Last visit to Bristol: Oct 2009
  • Intro Written Mar 15, 2011

• northeast80's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Thanks Fergy, I will wait and see who's been to the Channel Islands. I've always wanted to go and this offer seems really good. Are you going anywhere nice soon? Emma.

planxty

“Where's the bar?”

Badges & Stats in Bristol

Have you been to Bristol?