"A huge amount of history." Bristol by planxty
Bristol Travel Guide: 748 reviews and 1,671 photos
Bristol is an important city in Britain, with a huge amount of history and the major centre for the Southwest of England. Surprising, therefore, that I had never spent a night there until October 2009 when I decided to visit for a couple of days break. I am very glad I did. Despite some fairly dismal weather, as reflected in the photography, I had a tremendous couple of days.
Bristol has always been a mercantile place based on easy access to the sea and it's wealth and importance were largely built on trade, right back to Anglo-Saxon times when the place was called Brigstowe (the place by the bridge). It's heyday came in the mid 18th century when it was the second largest city in England when ships coming from all over the world arrived here carrying tobacco, rum, cocoa, sugar and many other commodities. The docks remain very much the centre of the city today, although they would be scarcely recognisable to those old seafarers, being now a predominantly leisure area with cafes, bars, art galleries, museums and so on.
For overseas visitors, Bristol may not be automatically on the list of places to visit but there is certainly plenty to see and do for a couple of days and good transport links make it easily accessible. I hope to return soon.
On a VT note, I can't believe I still haven't constructed my tips and will rectify that in the next few days.
- Pros:Plenty to do, good transport links.
- Cons:None I can think of.
- In a nutshell:Well worth a couple of days trip.
Although you are most likely to visit Brandon Hill Nature Park for a look at the impressive Cabot Tower (see seperate... more travel advice
I stumbled upon this place quite late on a winter's weekday evening and it was, I suppose understandably, empty. This is... more travel advice
planxty's Related Pages
Bristol Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alright my lover?"
- "Far beyond the shrinking skies"
- "Floating around Bristol"
- "Brissle - a gert lush areal!"
- "Bristol/Brizzle - Capitawl of the Southwest"
- "Welcome to Brizzol"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bristol
- Hotels in Bristol
- Transportation in Bristol
- Nightlife in Bristol
- Restaurants in Bristol
- Shopping in Bristol
- Warnings and Dangers in Bristol
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bristol
- 15 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Bristol?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bristol
Photos in BristolSee All Photos (75)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 226 reviews, 726 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 35 reviews, 177 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 45 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos
- Durham Intro, 20 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 33 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue