Broadstairs Warnings Or Dangers Tips by planxty Top 5 Page for this destination
Broadstairs Warnings and Dangers: 3 reviews and 1 photos
Plastic glass, Broadstairs, Kent, UK.
This tip does not concern a danger, in fact it refers to something that prevents danger but it is a warning to beer purists who may visit the town, especially in summer. During the excellent Broadstairs Folk Week, which I play every year, most pubs in the town will only serve pints and halves in plastic glasses. I am not sure if this is a police / council requirement or just something the various licensed premises demand themselves but I know I hate drinking out of plastic glasses. Many of the hard-core folkies get round it by bringing their own pewter tankards which seems to be acceptable.
Additionally, there are some premises which do not permit you to take glasses outside into the street at any time. Notable for this is the excellentTartar Frigate and this is understandable as it stands on the beach and nobody wants broken glass where people are wandering around in bare feet. Other places have a summer ban on glasses outside with all the visitors in town but are OK with it in the winter. It can be quite confusing.
If you are going into the street, to smoke for example, it is always best to ask the staff what the local rules are. They will be happy to tell you and provide plastic if required. I wouldn't want you to be embarrassed or get in trouble with the police!
During folk week, the atmosphere in the town is very good and there is rarley any trouble (not caused by the folkies anyway). Outside of Folk Week, however, things can get a bit "lively" on a Friday and Saturday night.
Personally, I would avoid Cramptons, the Dolphin and the Rose at these times.
Apparently, all the young people from Ramsgate and Margate congregate in the town (it's about midway between the two) and there can be a bit of bother.
Update - 02/09/2006.
You may want to avoid fireworks nights during the summer in the town. apparently, this sumnmer on one particular fireworks night there was a riot involving about 200 people near the train station. the police were forced to temporarily withdraw, admitting they could not control the situation, before reinforcements could be summoned.
More Reviews (36)
- See All A good live music spot.
- See All No longer there.
- See All An excellent Chinese takeaway
- See All Dream or nightmare.
planxty's Related Pages
Broadstairs Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nothing changes much."
- "Broadstairs, Kent"
- "Historic Broadstairs"
- "Broadstairs in Kent"
- "My first trip to UK...to study English"
- "Easter in Broadstairs"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Broadstairs
- Hotels in Broadstairs
- Transportation in Broadstairs
- Nightlife in Broadstairs
- Restaurants in Broadstairs
- Shopping in Broadstairs
- Warnings and Dangers in Broadstairs
- See All...
Explore the World
- Björsund Hotels
- Laguna Negra Hotels
- North Anclote Key Hotels
- Bad Saarow-Pieskow Hotels
- Copper Center
- Alghero Warnings and Dangers
- Da Nang Warnings and Dangers
- Darmstadt Warnings and Dangers
- Sheffield Warnings and Dangers
- Utah Warnings and Dangers
- San Bernardino Warnings and Dangers
- Fort Bragg Warnings and Dangers
- Minneapolis Warnings and Dangers
- Ha Long Warnings and Dangers
- Rijeka Warnings and Dangers
- Tarifa (Cadiz) Warnings and Dangers
Badges & Stats in Broadstairs
- 38 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (66)
Have you been to Broadstairs?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Broadstairs
Photos in BroadstairsSee All Photos (90)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 220 reviews, 562 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 38 reviews, 89 photos, 2 travelogues
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 33 reviews, 78 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 22 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Armagh Intro, 20 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues
- Manila Intro, 21 reviews, 80 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brno Intro, 20 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bristol Intro, 15 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues