"Nothing changes much." Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs by planxty

Broadstairs Travel Guide: 89 reviews and 205 photos

A confession.

I have to preface my Broadstairs pages by declaring an interest. I have been playing the wonderful Folk Week here for a number of years, and it is undoubtedly my favourite festival of the year. Through this, I have made some great friends and often visit even when it's off-season.

Broadstairs is the quintessential English seaside resort, and it is easy to imagine yourself being back in time fifty or more years. All the traditional English seaside pastimes are here, Punch and Judy, the Bandstand, fish and chips and a walk along the Prom.

When the weather is good (never a certainty in England), there are few places I'd rather be. Take for example the main photo on this page. It is difficult to believe that it was taken in October (1st October 2011 to be precise) when freakishly good weather brought thousands of people to the town.

In the spirit of VT, I shall try to keep the rose-tinted spectacles firmly in my pocket and be as objective as possible.

• Pros:Very traditional English seaside town. Great Folk Week.
  • Cons:Can be a bit rough on weekend evenings.
  • In a nutshell:Go there, especially at Folk Week.
  • Last visit to Broadstairs: Aug 2013
  • Intro Updated Aug 27, 2013

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Hello, Fergy! You have created a great page about your experience in Broadstairs...Thanks a lot!

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Thanks very much Victor. It is only a little seaside place but I spend a lot of time there and really love it. I do hope you can visit it one day.

• isolatedpawn's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2013 at 4:46 AM

Amazing!

Aug 27, 2013 at 5:19 AM

Thank you, Broadstairs really is an amazing little place, one of the many hidden gems in UK and a favourite place of mine. I am still updating my tips from my last visit this month. I do hope you get a chance to visit one day.

• isolatedpawn's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2013 at 4:46 AM

Amazing!

• vichatherly's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2012 at 4:53 AM

Just had another trip to Morelli's ... still one of the best

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2011 at 4:08 AM

Gee, I feel priveleged to know the 1st act on the notice board at that Broadstairs pub Fergy! :o) Looks like a fun week mate! ... oh and I like the sound of Kidneys braised in sherry too :o) Hugs, Ann.

May 11, 2011 at 3:40 AM

Thanks for your kind coments, Cathy. There is a big dickens connection, Bleak House is in the town amongst other things. fergy.

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2011 at 3:34 AM

Wonderful 'virtual tour' Fergy - you write beautifully (and a delight to hear that Punch and Judy is still going strong!) Do I have a dim recollection that Dickens had some sort of association with Broadstairs? Regards Cathy

• Sep 16, 2009 at 1:57 PM

I have aphoto of Uncle Mack on stage with me in 1931.Would any one like a copy?

• diosh's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2008 at 2:34 PM

The old place is definitely being chi-chi'd up! So many more coffee bars now.Funny, old shops disappearing.

• bumpychick's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2007 at 12:54 PM

Your page is great advert for Broadstairs! I live in Margate, and spend a lot of time in Broadstairs, although have never been to Folk week as I'm always on holiday somewhere. One VT tip says Broadstairs closes after 8pm!!??

planxty Visits Here Frequently!

planxty

“Where's the bar?”

Badges & Stats in Broadstairs

Have you been to Broadstairs?

Latest Activity in Broadstairs