Canterbury Off The Beaten Path Tips by planxty Top 5 Page for this destination
Canterbury Off The Beaten Path: 22 reviews and 57 photos
Kent War Memorial, Canterbury, Kent, England.
I'm not sure how many people actually come here in the height of the tourist season, but when I visited it was totally deserted, albeit that there were many people visiting the Cathedral itself. For this reason I have made it an off the beaten path tip.
It is a war memorial and cloistered garden laid out at the rear of the Cathedral (assuming you've entered through the main gate) and is dedicated to the men and women of Kent who fell in the Great War 1914 - 1918.
The monument itself is of a fairly typical design, but there are a few interesting things to be seen.
The memorial was the idea of George Robert Canning, 4th Lord Harris, and a plaque to him is on the wall outside the garden (see second photo). I particularly like the smaller plaque (the upper of the two on the right) which depicts his love of cricket!
Within the garden and set in a wall to the rear is a stone (see third photo). If you look closely, you can just about make out that it was taken from the Cloth Hall in Ypres (Flanders) which was the scene of a horrendous batle in WW1. I can only assume that the stone was "liberated" as the building had suffered damage during the war.
The last photo shows a door set into the Cathedral precinct wall at the rear of the garden, which I just found aesthetically pleasing and photographed. I have no idea as to it's age or history.
More Reviews (14)
planxty's Related Pages
Canterbury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Stomping Ground !"
- "WHITECLIFFS CANTERBURY TALES"
- "Historical Canterbury."
- "Not really a pilgrimage......."
- "A Tale of a Cathedral? It's Canterbury."
- "Canterbury and the cathedral"
- "More than just the Cathedral"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Canterbury
- Hotels in Canterbury
- Transportation in Canterbury
- Nightlife in Canterbury
- Restaurants in Canterbury
- Shopping in Canterbury
- Warnings and Dangers in Canterbury
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Canterbury
- 15 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (226)
Have you been to Canterbury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Canterbury
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- updated a Canterbury Travel Page "A Tale of a Cathedral? It's Canterbury."
- Commented on one of planxty's Canterbury tips
- Wrote a Review Museum of Canterbury, featuring Rupert the Bear! in Canterbury Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Museum of Canterbury, featuring Rupert the Bear!"
Photos in CanterburySee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 253 reviews, 952 photos, 50 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 41 reviews, 202 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 53 reviews, 158 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 37 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sherbrooke Intro, 10 reviews, 134 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 26 reviews, 108 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues
- Cathedral- 70 Reviews, 119 Photos
- Christ Church Gate- 8 Reviews, 14 Photos
- Dane John Gardens- 7 Reviews, 13 Photos
- St Augustine's Abbey- 11 Reviews, 13 Photos
- Historic River Tours- 5 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Cathedral Cloister- 5 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Mayoralty Tower House- 4 Reviews, 4 Photos
- West Gate- 8 Reviews, 13 Photos
- EastBridge Hospital- 6 Reviews, 13 Photos
- Westgate Gardens- 6 Reviews, 8 Photos
See All Canterbury Things to Do