"A Tale of a Cathedral? It's Canterbury." Top 5 Page for this destination Canterbury by planxty
Canterbury Travel Guide: 498 reviews and 1,058 photos
Canterbury is an important place in many ways. It is the county town of Kent (one of the largest English counties), it is the spiritual home of the Anglican faith, and it has an absolute wealth of history.
Man was certainly here in prehistoric times, followed in turn by the Romans. Julius Caesar and his army came here in the first century B.C., but soon left again. Other Romans returned in 43 A.D. and established a settlement.
The Romans, in their turn, were superceded by the various Continental tribes who invaded Britain, and the town fell into ruins.
Eventually, in the late 6th century, St. Augustine arrived here, and began converting people to Christianity, thus beginning an association with that religion which leads to the Archbishop of Canterbury today being the foremost Anglican cleric in the world.
After a period of Viking raids in the late 10th and early 11th centuries, the next major event was the invasion by the Normans in 1066. Under Norman control, the religious aspect of the town flourished, as indeed did the town itself.
The famous martyrdon of Thomas a Becket in 1171 ensured that the place became one of pilgrimage and further increased its religious significance although war and plague both took their toll on Canterbury subsequently.
During the 16th century, Canterbury changed considerably. Henry VIII's famous argument with the Church led to the Dissolution of most religious orders in England, and Canterbury was no exception. Henry was suceeded by Mary, and the established Church returned.
The religious turmoil in Europe at this time led to another "invasion", this time of Protestants from the mainland.
The English Civil War saw yet more disturbance in the City, with much destruction. This was put right after the Restoration of Charles II.
Canterbury continued to grow slowly, and also became something of a military town.
During the Second World War, German bombing led to serious destruction and the loss of many of the historic buildings.
Today, it is well and truly on the tourist map of England, and is definitely worth a visit.
Even if there was not a single exhibit in this building, it would be worth a visit. The building, as I hope you can see... more travel advice
This shop will absolutely delight teddy bear lovers everywhere. Although named the Winnie the Pooh shop, all your other... more travel advice
planxty's Related Pages
Canterbury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Stomping Ground !"
- "WHITECLIFFS CANTERBURY TALES"
- "Historical Canterbury."
- "Not really a pilgrimage......."
- "A Tale of a Cathedral? It's Canterbury."
- "Canterbury and the cathedral"
- "More than just the Cathedral"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Canterbury
- Hotels in Canterbury
- Transportation in Canterbury
- Nightlife in Canterbury
- Restaurants in Canterbury
- Shopping in Canterbury
- Warnings and Dangers in Canterbury
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Canterbury
- 15 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (226)
Have you been to Canterbury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Canterbury
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- updated a Canterbury Travel Page "A Tale of a Cathedral? It's Canterbury."
- Commented on one of planxty's Canterbury tips
- Wrote a Review Museum of Canterbury, featuring Rupert the Bear! in Canterbury Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Museum of Canterbury, featuring Rupert the Bear!"
Photos in CanterburySee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 253 reviews, 952 photos, 50 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 41 reviews, 202 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 53 reviews, 158 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 37 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sherbrooke Intro, 10 reviews, 134 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 26 reviews, 108 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues