"A pleasant day trip." Top 5 Page for this destination Chichester by planxty
Chichester Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 84 photos
Despite my numerous ramblings around the South of England, I had never been to Chichester until last week, a sad omission. I found a very pleasant Sussex town with a bit to do, had a great breakfast , discovered a beautiful canal I didn't know existed, visited a cathedral and came home happy.
Like many places in England, the name derived from "caester" meaning a Roman settlement. In this case the Saxons who arrived following the Roman withdrawal were led by a man called Cissa, hence Cissa's Caester which has become Chichester.
The Saxons, in their turn, were superceded by the Normans, who built a castle there.
An event which increased the importance of the town was the arrival of a bishop in 1075 and the subsequent building of a cathedral. This cathedral has been rebuilt more than once since.
Over the centuries, the fortunes of the town waxed and waned, with wool export and needle making and other trades coming and going and various religious institutions arriving and then departing.
Today, it is a lively place, and worth a visit.
The old city walls of Chichester are still in good repair over much of their length. It is pleasant to walk them, and... more travel advice
If you have walked all the way from Chichester along the canal to the harbour (see seperate tip), you will undoubtedly... more travel advice
planxty's Related Pages
Chichester Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A pleasant day trip."
- "Roman Cathedral City"
- "I came for Emmeline's wedding"
- "A visit during the Chichester Festivities"
- "Sunday afternoon in Chichester"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chichester
- Hotels in Chichester
- Transportation in Chichester
- Nightlife in Chichester
- Restaurants in Chichester
- Shopping in Chichester
- Warnings and Dangers in Chichester
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chichester
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (84)
Have you been to Chichester?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chichester
Photos in ChichesterSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 225 reviews, 725 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 45 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues
- Durham Intro, 21 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 33 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 22 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Armagh Intro, 20 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (173)
Latest Chichester hotel reviews
- The Goodwood Park Hotel Chichester
- 374 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Crouchers Bottom Country Hotel
- 207 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Travelodge Chichester Emsworth
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- The Woolpack Inn
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Chichester Park Hotel
- 235 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- The Fox Goes Free
- 80 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- The Fish House Hotel & Restaurant
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Lordington House
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013