"It is what it is." Clacton-on-Sea by planxty

Clacton-on-Sea Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 54 photos

Well, I'd heard about it.

If you've read my Frinton-on-Sea tips, and my Walton-on-Sea tips, you will know that this is one of what I call the "holy triumvirate" of Essex seaside resorts that were for many years beloved of people from the East End of London, giving them a welcome respite from the dirt and grime of the city.

So, I've been living in London for nearly 20 years and I'd never been there. If I'm lucky it will be another 20 until I go again. No disrespect to the people who live there, but I found it the most awful place. It is one of those English seaside resorts hanging onto a trade that realistically isn't there any more, and I found the place depressing in the extreme.

A few tacky bars (mostly featuring karaoke) along the seafront and a pier with an amusement arcade cater for the daytrippers from "the smoke" who seem Hell-bent on getting drunk as early in the day as possible and creating mayhem. One of the first things I saw in the town was a security guard at an amusement arcade wearing a stab-proof vest. I thought that told me all I needed to know about Clacton.

I'll include a couple of tips here, but I really advise you not to bother - and in the reasonably large number of places I have written tips about, this is the first place I have ever found with just about nothing to recommend it. Sorry, Clacton.

• Pros:Can't think of any - sunshine perhaps?
  • Cons:Full of drunken louts.
  • In a nutshell:Don't bother, there are lots of better places for a day trip.
  • Last visit to Clacton-on-Sea: Jul 2007
  • Intro Written Jul 16, 2007

• arturowan's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Coming from this area, I know of only 2 reactions to Clacton - folks either immediately love it or loathe the place - there never seems to be an in-between sentiment to this resort...

• planxty's Profile Photo
      Feb 25, 2013 at 8:12 AM

I think Clacton gets a bit if a bad name because of the daytrippers coming down from the East End and going a bit mad. I like it OK. fergy.

planxty

“Where's the bar?”

Badges & Stats in Clacton-on-Sea

Have you been to Clacton-on-Sea?

Latest Activity in Clacton-on-Sea