"Downe and Darwin." Downe by planxty
Downe Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 13 photos
Quite early on in my VT "career" I found myself in the position of being the first member to write a page on Evropos which didn't surprise me unduly as it is a fairly out of the way place in Northern Greece. I was rather more surprised, however, after a recent trip to Downe to discover that no-one has yet constructed a page on it either. I say I'm surprised as Downe is the site of the home of Charles Darwin the famous scientist, who lived in nearby Downe House for about 40 years (see tip).
Although it is extremely close to London (it's only about three miles away from Orpington) it is a pretty, quiet, rural Kentish village, and well worth a visit.
- Pros:Pleasant little village with an important historic site.
- Cons:Dodgy bus connection.
- In a nutshell:Get down to Downe!
Of the two pubs in Downe, this is the older (16th century, I believe) althought the trappings inside are more up to date... more travel advice
The dominant feature in Downe, as in so many English villages, is the Church, in this case St. Mary the Virgin. Probably... more travel advice
planxty's Related Pages
Downe Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Downe
- 4 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (84)
Have you been to Downe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Downe
Photos in DowneSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 225 reviews, 725 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 45 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues
- Durham Intro, 21 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 33 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 22 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Armagh Intro, 20 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues