"Edinburgh - ancient majestic city." Edinburgh by planxty

Edinburgh Travel Guide: 3,516 reviews and 7,151 photos

What's left to say?

What is there to say about Edinburgh that hasn't already been said, and probably a lot better than I could? An ancient city, which dates back at least to Celtic times with the Votadinii tribe, Romans (before they left Scotland and camped behind Hadrian's Wall), and then right on through centuries of fascinating history up to the present day.

The city is home to the Scottish Parliament, the imposing Castle that dominates the skyline, the Royal Mile, the Royal Palace of Holyroodhouse - the list goes on and on.

I first visited Edinburgh as a young child on family holidays in the early 70's and fell in love with it, a love affair that continues to this day. It's probably my favourite city in the UK.

There is so much for the visitor to see and do here, ranging from the annual International Festival in August, and it's equally famous Fringe, Edinburgh Miltary Tattoo, the massive Hogmanay (New Year) party, not to mention excellent shopping and a host of good places to eat and drink. I find the people here to be friendly in the typically Scots way, and it is this combination that has placed it very firmly on the world tourist map.

You really should visit.

• Last visit to Edinburgh: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 2, 2006

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Thank you for your tips !!!
    We will take a pint in deacon on your health
    Gracias !!!!

• planxty's Profile Photo
      Aug 23, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Thank you so much. I was there about two months ago and it is still a brilliant place to visit. I know you will enjoy it. fergy.

• flyingscot4's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2007 at 5:40 PM

Great pages about Edinburgh. Even though I have not seen all the cities in the world, E ranks as my number 1. Sometimes I think that Americans and Brits appreciate Scotland more than some Scots.

• Karolina01's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2006 at 10:53 PM

I have to go there and shope at Jenner's. What a nice building!

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2006 at 10:16 AM

I went to Edinbourgh long ago. I hope to go there quite soon. Ciao!

planxty

“Where's the bar?”

Badges & Stats in Edinburgh

Have you been to Edinburgh?

Latest Activity in Edinburgh