"Edinburgh - ancient majestic city." Edinburgh by planxty
Edinburgh Travel Guide: 3,809 reviews and 8,167 photos
What is there to say about Edinburgh that hasn't already been said, and probably a lot better than I could? An ancient city, which dates back at least to Celtic times with the Votadinii tribe, Romans (before they left Scotland and camped behind Hadrian's Wall), and then right on through centuries of fascinating history up to the present day.
The city is home to the Scottish Parliament, the imposing Castle that dominates the skyline, the Royal Mile, the Royal Palace of Holyroodhouse - the list goes on and on.
I first visited Edinburgh as a young child on family holidays in the early 70's and fell in love with it, a love affair that continues to this day. It's probably my favourite city in the UK.
There is so much for the visitor to see and do here, ranging from the annual International Festival in August, and it's equally famous Fringe, Edinburgh Miltary Tattoo, the massive Hogmanay (New Year) party, not to mention excellent shopping and a host of good places to eat and drink. I find the people here to be friendly in the typically Scots way, and it is this combination that has placed it very firmly on the world tourist map.
You really should visit.
There are two train stations in Edinburgh but if you want to be right in the Centre you want to aim for Edinburgh... more travel advice
Right in the middle of the Royal Mile stands Deacon Brodies Tavern. It's not a tourist trap as it is rather a good pub... more travel advice
planxty's Related Pages
Edinburgh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Edinburgh Travel - A Special City - A Special View"
- "Scotland's Capital City"
- "Embra - Scotlands Capital City"
- "EDINBURGH, A PICTURESQUE CITY"
- "A guide to Edinburgh dining & nightlife"
- "Edinburgh - the capital of Scotland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Edinburgh
- Hotels in Edinburgh
- Transportation in Edinburgh
- Nightlife in Edinburgh
- Restaurants in Edinburgh
- Shopping in Edinburgh
- Warnings and Dangers in Edinburgh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Edinburgh
- 10 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 35 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (226)
Have you been to Edinburgh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Edinburgh
Photos in EdinburghSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 253 reviews, 952 photos, 50 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 41 reviews, 202 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 53 reviews, 158 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 37 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sherbrooke Intro, 10 reviews, 134 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 26 reviews, 108 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues