"I have only been once (figure now revised)!" Eltham by planxty

Eltham Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 53 photos

A brief history.

to be honest, I have only ever visited Eltham once in my life, to visit the magnificent Eltham Palace. A fairly ordinary suburb of Southeast London, it is now predominantly a commuter zone for people working in Central London.

Now part of the London Borough of Greenwich, the area developed due to it's importance as being on the route to the Southern ports, and was once part of the Pilgrims Way.

Unfortunately, in recent times, it is perhaps best known as the place where the murder of a black teenager, Stephen Lawrence, caused a great furore about racism and led to sweeping and controversial changes to the London Metropolitan Police.

Update March 2015.

I do like to keep my pages up do date as best I can and so I should update this page by saying that I have returned to Eltham this month almost eight years after I originally constructed this page in May 2007. The reason for this was that I was walking a long-distance path called the Capital Ring and which is fully recorded on a travelogue on my London page.

In my original introduction above I rather blitehly wrote Eltham off as "a fairly ordinary suburb of Southeast London" which is a statment I am pretty well ashamed of now and indicative of my naivete a mere eight years ago. Today I am almost evangelical on the subject of finding interest in even the most apparently mundane places and there I was doing exactly what I am preaching against but I suppose hindsight is 20/20 vision. Live and learn as they say and I do encourage the reader to go to Eltham as there is plenty to see and do and it is far from ordinary.

• Pros:Fine historical palace, excellent walks.
  • Cons:Lots of traffic.
  • In a nutshell:Not much visited but worth seeking out.
  • Last visit to Eltham: Mar 2015
  • Intro Updated Apr 1, 2015

Comments

planxty

“I have declared myself an unsafe building!”

Badges & Stats in Eltham