Great Cumbrae Island Transportation Tips by planxty
Great Cumbrae Island Transportation: 1 reviews and 5 photos
Cumbrae ferry, Ayrshire, UK.
Unless you are lucky enough to own your own boat or are a phenomenal swimmer the only viable option of getting to Great Cumbrae is the ferry which plys regulary from Largs on the mainland. This is no hardship, as the boat is clean and tidy and the journey short. It is operated by Caledonian MacBrayne who seem to have a monopoly on all ferries in Scotland, and they run a tight ship, if you'll pardon the pun.
Once you arrive on Cumbrae, you have a few choices. You can walk and I believe there is a popular route going right round the island although I did not have the time or the kit to do that. There is a regular bus service into Millport (the main town) with the stop literally feet from the slipway, or you can 'phone for a taxi on +00 44 (0)1475 530344.
There is no need to pre-book tickets on this route. As you can see from one of the photos, even in the height of summer I had the boat fairly well to myself. Be aware that there are different winter and summer schedules so don't get caught out or you will have the night on the island!
Phone: +00 44 0800 066 5000
More Reviews (4)
planxty's Related Pages
Great Cumbrae Island Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Great Cumbrae Island
- 5 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Great Cumbrae Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Great Cumbrae Island
Photos in Great Cumbrae IslandSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 226 reviews, 726 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 35 reviews, 177 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 45 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos
- Durham Intro, 20 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 33 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue