"The Heath and a whole lot more." Hampstead by planxty
Hampstead Travel Guide: 113 reviews and 321 photos
Hampstead is a delightful area in North London, dominated by the famous Hampstead Heath, a larege open space in what is essentially fairly central London.
There is evidence of prehistoric people living in the area and it was said that the famous warrior Queen Boudicca (Boadicea) of the Iceni tribe was buried here, although there is no archaeological evidence for this. Subsequently, the Roman road to St. Albans was constructed over the Heath, and it is thought that a Saxon farmer clearing part of the forest for his "homestead" gave rise to the name Hampstead.
In medieaval times, a gallows was erected on the Heath and in 1524 a huge crowd gathered to watch a great flood that had been predicted which was to inundate London. Needless to say, it never materialised. The area was later again used by fleeing Londoners, this time attempting to escape the Great Plague.
the 18th century saw rapid expansion in the area with the population rising to 4300 in 1801. Over the years the area has had many famous residents with a good smattering of artistic types amongst them. These include Byron, Keats, H.G Wells, John Constable, Robert Louis Stevenson, John Galsworthy, J.B Priestley and Anna Pavlova.
Today, it continues to be a favourite residence for the artistc set, and is a very expensive part of london to live in, but well worth a visit. Apologies for the photo which was taken with a poor camera on an overcast day. I can assure you, on a clear day the views over london from the Heath are tremendous.
If you've ever seen either "Four weddings and a funeral" or "The hundred and one dalmations" you will already have seen... more travel advice
planxty's Related Pages
Hampstead Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My favourite London village - Hampstead"
- "So close and yet so far..."
- "Walking tour of Hampstead"
- "Hilly Hampstead"
- "The Heath and a whole lot more."
- "LONDON - HAMPSTEAD"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hampstead
- Hotels in Hampstead
- Transportation in Hampstead
- Nightlife in Hampstead
- Restaurants in Hampstead
- Shopping in Hampstead
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hampstead
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (223)
Have you been to Hampstead?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hampstead
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- Commented on one of planxty's Hampstead travel pages
- updated a Hampstead Travel Page "The Heath and a whole lot more."
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Heath and a whole lot more."
- Wrote a Review Better than a Hollywood set. in Hampstead Things to Do
Photos in HampsteadSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 253 reviews, 952 photos, 50 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 40 reviews, 197 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 53 reviews, 158 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 37 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sherbrooke Intro, 10 reviews, 134 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 26 reviews, 108 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues