"A fine seaside town." Top 5 Page for this destination Hastings by planxty
Hastings Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 109 photos
OK, let's get one thing cleared up straight away. If you mention Hastings to anyone, they will probably mention the famous Battle of Hastings in 1066 when William of Normandy invaded, defeated King Harold and eventually conquered England. The battle actually didn't happen here, but at the village of Senlac some miles inland, which was subsequently renamed Battle. Have a look at my Battle pages for more information.
Notwithstanding that the battle didn't take place here, there is still a noticable Norman influence. The Old Town is dominated by the Norman Castle, which can lay claim to being the first Norman stronghold in England.
As suggested in the previous paragraph, the town is split in two, the Old Town and the New Town. The old Town is probably of more interest to the visitor. It is a very picturesque fishing village set at the foot of some steep cliffs, and there are a number of tourist attractions there. The New Town boasts a lively shopping district and a promenade complete with that essential of the English seaside town - a pier.
Hastings, undoubtedly, has had it's heyday some years ago, when it was a popular tourist destination but, like many other English resorts, it has lost out to cheap overseas holidays. I still rather like the place though, and it makes a pleasant day trip from London.
Apologies for the photos, but I took them on a particularly overcast November day!
Well, only one actually! Due to an ancient regulation , the huts on the beach to house the fishing nets were not allowed... more travel advice
Hastings is connected to London by a reasonable service which takes either one hour 32 minutes or one hour 43 minutes.... more travel advice
planxty's Related Pages
Hastings Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hastings - the 1066 beach resort"
- "A fine seaside town."
- "Wonderful Hastings"
- "We only saw the castle and had a good lunch"
- "A host of things to see in Hastings"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hastings
- Hotels in Hastings
- Transportation in Hastings
- Nightlife in Hastings
- Restaurants in Hastings
- Shopping in Hastings
- Warnings and Dangers in Hastings
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hastings
- 5 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (225)
Have you been to Hastings?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hastings
Photos in HastingsSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 253 reviews, 952 photos, 50 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 40 reviews, 197 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 53 reviews, 158 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 37 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sherbrooke Intro, 10 reviews, 134 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 26 reviews, 108 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues