"Merely a flying visit." Holyhead by planxty

Holyhead Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 33 photos

I have not got a lot to share.

I had last been through Holyhead on a family holiday in the early 1970's and did not revisit it until November 2012. Well, I say revisit but it was a really brief stop. I have recently become increasingly disenchanted with flying, especially for sohrt trips, and had decided to return to visit my family in &L[http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/8c781/f5/]Northern Ireland%L* by means of train and ferry from my home in London. If you are interested in the mechanics of doing it yourself, I have made two tips on the subject. I have to say it was a generally very pleasant travelling experience except for one slight problem which I shall come to in a minute and which led to my brief sojourn in Holyhead.

The problem was nobody's fault, it was the weather. I had left London on a reasonably pleasant and dry autumnal morning but the weather had steadily deteriorated all the way North and West and by the time I got to Holyhead it was blowing a Force 8 gale and an icy rain was coming in sideways. It was absolutely hideous and had led to the cancellation of the fast ferry I had been booked on. With a couple of hours to kill, I didn't really fancy sitting in the fairly meagre facilities of the ferryport so I took my courage in both hands, braved the elements and went for a brief wander round the town.

I say brief and indeed it was. Given the conditions, the lure of the first pub I found open was too much so in I went. A quick pint in another pub and it was time to get back and catch the later slow ferry. On the return journey I again had a bit of time in hand so I stopped off for another pint in a different hostelry.

I am sure Holyhead has much to offer but I regrettably had neither the time nor opportunity to appreciate it. This page is primarily constructed to provide details of the ferryport for travellers and I apologise for the paucity of any other information.

• In a nutshell:I really didn't get enough time to see it!
  • Last visit to Holyhead: Nov 2012
  • Intro Written Dec 30, 2012

Comments

planxty

“Where's the bar?”

Badges & Stats in Holyhead

Have you been to Holyhead?

Latest Activity in Holyhead