"Merely a flying visit." Holyhead by planxty
Holyhead Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 33 photos
I had last been through Holyhead on a family holiday in the early 1970's and did not revisit it until November 2012. Well, I say revisit but it was a really brief stop. I have recently become increasingly disenchanted with flying, especially for sohrt trips, and had decided to return to visit my family in &L[http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/8c781/f5/]Northern Ireland%L* by means of train and ferry from my home in London. If you are interested in the mechanics of doing it yourself, I have made two tips on the subject. I have to say it was a generally very pleasant travelling experience except for one slight problem which I shall come to in a minute and which led to my brief sojourn in Holyhead.
The problem was nobody's fault, it was the weather. I had left London on a reasonably pleasant and dry autumnal morning but the weather had steadily deteriorated all the way North and West and by the time I got to Holyhead it was blowing a Force 8 gale and an icy rain was coming in sideways. It was absolutely hideous and had led to the cancellation of the fast ferry I had been booked on. With a couple of hours to kill, I didn't really fancy sitting in the fairly meagre facilities of the ferryport so I took my courage in both hands, braved the elements and went for a brief wander round the town.
I say brief and indeed it was. Given the conditions, the lure of the first pub I found open was too much so in I went. A quick pint in another pub and it was time to get back and catch the later slow ferry. On the return journey I again had a bit of time in hand so I stopped off for another pint in a different hostelry.
I am sure Holyhead has much to offer but I regrettably had neither the time nor opportunity to appreciate it. This page is primarily constructed to provide details of the ferryport for travellers and I apologise for the paucity of any other information.
- In a nutshell:I really didn't get enough time to see it!
I have described elsewhere on this page how I literally only spent a couple of hours in Holyhead whilst going to and... more travel advice
Finding myself with a couple of hours to spare in Holyhead following the weather cancellation of my ferry, I decided to... more travel advice
planxty's Related Pages
Holyhead Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "holyhead...oh well never mind"
- "More than the sum of its parts"
- "Merely a flying visit."
- "Holyead and Trearddur Bay"
- "The cutest town ever!"
- "The Celtic Gateway"
- "Abandon all hope ye who enter here"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Holyhead
- Hotels in Holyhead
- Transportation in Holyhead
- Nightlife in Holyhead
- Restaurants in Holyhead
- Warnings and Dangers in Holyhead
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Holyhead
- 4 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Holyhead?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Holyhead
Photos in HolyheadSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 226 reviews, 726 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 35 reviews, 177 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 45 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos
- Durham Intro, 20 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 33 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue