"Just a day visit." Top 5 Page for this destination Northampton by planxty

Northampton Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 196 photos

I just thought I'd go and see.

Being at a bit of a loose end last week, I though I would take a day trip to somewhere (as I often do) and just picked Northampton more or less at random.

What I found was a busy market town with plenty of shops, a very good market (see tip), a very pleasant Guildhall and good museum. I was later told about a good Templar round church in the town, but the weather had turned monsoonal so I didn't go. Well, it is the English summer so the weather was almost bound to turn bad! Other than the things mentioned, I don't really think there is a lot to do here, although I hope I'm not maligning the place by saying that.

Oh, I've just remembered, they have a reasonable rugby team and a football (soccer) team called the Cobblers, reflecting the fact that the town is the centre of the leather and shoemaking industry in the UK.

• Last visit to Northampton: Jul 2007
  • Intro Written Jul 12, 2007

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2015 at 5:46 PM

I used to stop off at Northampton on my cheffie travels many years ago - just for the pubs. Pre-VT days and so no definitive pub guide, nor cheap B&B's. Crackingly-fiendly (sic) town tho'.

• EasyMalc's Profile Photo
      Jun 14, 2015 at 9:37 PM

I'll drink to that.
      Just for the record I was also chauffeur driven for a morning while I was staying there - in a 'Black Taxi'. Not everybody's idea of a holiday I agree, but it was a fascinating insight all the same

• planxty's Profile Photo
      Jun 16, 2015 at 1:16 AM

Let's be brutally honest here Malc, you'll drink to anything!

• Aug 2, 2007 at 12:59 PM

Haven't been to Northampton for a long long time... I'd almost forgotten I had been there at all in fact.... nice page Ferg! Thanks :)

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2007 at 2:46 PM

A very enjoyable and useful account of a less touristy place. Great photos too, of course ;)

planxty

“I have declared myself an unsafe building!”

Badges & Stats in Northampton

Have you been to Northampton?

Latest Activity in Northampton