Pickering Things to Do Tips by planxty
Pickering Things to Do: 19 reviews and 46 photos
Tourist Information Centre, Pickering, UK.
Throughout the UK (and indeed many other countries) you will find Tourist Information outlets. The Tourist Information Board is merely a good example of a well organised version of this. Friendly, knowledgeable staff, plenty of free information leaflets, all in a pleasant environment. A great example of what a Tourist Information Centre should be. I suggest you check it out.
Address: The Ropery Pickering YO18 8DY
Directions: Right opposite the main carpark beside the river.
Other Contact: 00 44 1751 473487 (fax)
Phone: 00 44 1751 473791
Railway Station, Pickering, Yorkshire, UK.
Readers of some of my other pages will know that I harbour a deep affection for train travel, especially old steam trains. I suspect it may stem from my maternal grandfather having been a railwayman and having been taken as a small child to the station to see the trains. I suppose some things just stay with you. As I mentioned in my Picekring introduction page time was against us and my friends and I were unable to actually travel on the North York Moors Railway which travels from Pickering down to Whitby with occasional trips on the Esk Valley Line.
Although it would have been a lovely trip, just meandering about the restoration yards looking at the old rolling stock was quite enough to quicken my pulse. I cannot quite define it, but there is something hugely evocative about old trains, so much more stylish than today's uber-functional cattle trucks (on British railways anyway).
A quick look at the website will show you that the various stations on the line are fitted out from different periods of Britain's railway history. Pickering is the 1930's version, complete with a delightful teashop serving homemade local food, and it really is quite stunning. I hope the photos, which were taken on a pretty dismal day, do it justice.
If you walk past the main station you will come to the restoration yards where old rolling stock sits patiently awaiting a new lease of life granted by enthusiastic railway buffs. Undoubtedly a labour of love, there is no doubt, looking at the end result, that it is worth it.
I hope, when you visit Pickering, you will be luckier than me and have a chance to actually ride the railway but if not a wander round the Station area is certainly worthwhile.
Directions: Walk down the Main Street, turn right and the station is on the left.
Other Contact: 00 44 1751 476048 (fax)
Phone: 00 44 1751 472508
More Reviews (1)
planxty's Related Pages
Pickering Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pickering - Gateway to the Yorkshire Moors"
- "Not enough time to do it justice."
- "Bonio's visit to Pickering"
- "Pickering North Yorkshire."
- "JD's Pickering Description page"
- "Train rides & a castle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pickering
- Hotels in Pickering
- Restaurants in Pickering
- Shopping in Pickering
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pickering
- 3 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Pickering?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pickering
Photos in PickeringSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 226 reviews, 726 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 35 reviews, 177 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 45 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos
- Durham Intro, 20 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 33 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue