Pickering Things to Do Tips by planxty

Pickering Things to Do: 19 reviews and 46 photos

Tourist Information Centre, Pickering, UK. - Pickering

Tourist Information Centre, Pickering, UK.

Get the info first.

Throughout the UK (and indeed many other countries) you will find Tourist Information outlets. The Tourist Information Board is merely a good example of a well organised version of this. Friendly, knowledgeable staff, plenty of free information leaflets, all in a pleasant environment. A great example of what a Tourist Information Centre should be. I suggest you check it out.

Address: The Ropery Pickering YO18 8DY

Directions: Right opposite the main carpark beside the river.

Other Contact: 00 44 1751 473487 (fax)

Phone: 00 44 1751 473791

Website: http://www.ryedale.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=9845

• Written Apr 26, 2009
Railway Station, Pickering, Yorkshire, UK. - Pickering

Railway Station, Pickering, Yorkshire, UK.

A steam-driven trip to the past.

Readers of some of my other pages will know that I harbour a deep affection for train travel, especially old steam trains. I suspect it may stem from my maternal grandfather having been a railwayman and having been taken as a small child to the station to see the trains. I suppose some things just stay with you. As I mentioned in my Picekring introduction page time was against us and my friends and I were unable to actually travel on the North York Moors Railway which travels from Pickering down to Whitby with occasional trips on the Esk Valley Line.

Although it would have been a lovely trip, just meandering about the restoration yards looking at the old rolling stock was quite enough to quicken my pulse. I cannot quite define it, but there is something hugely evocative about old trains, so much more stylish than today's uber-functional cattle trucks (on British railways anyway).

A quick look at the website will show you that the various stations on the line are fitted out from different periods of Britain's railway history. Pickering is the 1930's version, complete with a delightful teashop serving homemade local food, and it really is quite stunning. I hope the photos, which were taken on a pretty dismal day, do it justice.

If you walk past the main station you will come to the restoration yards where old rolling stock sits patiently awaiting a new lease of life granted by enthusiastic railway buffs. Undoubtedly a labour of love, there is no doubt, looking at the end result, that it is worth it.

I hope, when you visit Pickering, you will be luckier than me and have a chance to actually ride the railway but if not a wander round the Station area is certainly worthwhile.

Directions: Walk down the Main Street, turn right and the station is on the left.

Other Contact: 00 44 1751 476048 (fax)

Phone: 00 44 1751 472508

Website: http://nymr.co.uk/

• Written Apr 26, 2009

planxty

“Where's the bar?”

Badges & Stats in Pickering

Have you been to Pickering?

Latest Activity in Pickering