"Day out by the sea, anyone?" Ramsgate by planxty
Ramsgate Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 103 photos
Although I spend far more time in neighbouring Broadstairs, I do occasionally pop over to Ramsgate for a day out. Originally a fishing village, it came to prominence in the 19th century when it became a very popular holiday destination. Like so many of it's contemporaries, the heyday is long gone although there is still something of a holiday trade with the seafront area being a bit of a magnet for daytrippers, complete with a very busy marina.
There is also a ferry port here, although it is nowhere like the scale of Dover further along the coast. It is certainly worth a visit.
A few photographs here will indicate the extent of the decay in Ramsgate recently. These were taken in August 2012 and are indicative of the decline not only here but also in Thanet generally. Despite it's many attractions it is unfortunately an area of the UK that is suffering hugely from unemployment and decline. It is a shame, really, as I love the place and it is so sad to see it go like this.
Even the Post Office is closed now although I am sure it has moved to another location.
I have deliberately left the harbour photo as the main image as I do not like to focus on the negative aspect of Ramsgate, there is still a lot to recommend it, even if it has fallen on slightly hard times lately.
- Pros:Good restaurants and a pleasant seafront.
- Cons:Getting a bit faded.
- In a nutshell:A decent place for a daytrip.
I had been promising myself a visit to the Maritime Museum in Ramsgate for a while and finally got to do it during the... more travel advice
The East Coast of Kent has a long history of all things military, specifically the Second World War when it was central... more travel advice
planxty's Related Pages
Ramsgate Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Day out by the sea, anyone?"
- "Ramsgate in 1896 and today"
- "An unexpected overnight stay in Ramsgate"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ramsgate
- Hotels in Ramsgate
- Transportation in Ramsgate
- Nightlife in Ramsgate
- Restaurants in Ramsgate
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ramsgate
- 12 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (66)
Have you been to Ramsgate?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ramsgate
Photos in RamsgateSee All Photos (55)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 220 reviews, 562 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 38 reviews, 89 photos, 2 travelogues
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 21 reviews, 101 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 33 reviews, 78 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 22 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Armagh Intro, 20 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues
- Manila Intro, 21 reviews, 80 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brno Intro, 20 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (151)
Latest Ramsgate hotel reviews
- Holiday Inn Express Kent International Airport-Minster
- 149 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- The Pegwell Bay Hotel
- 128 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Kent International Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Spencer Court Hotel
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 26, 2013
- The Royal Harbour Hotel
- 285 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013