"Pleasant Essex market town." Saffron Walden by planxty

Saffron Walden Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 35 photos

Go for the stately home and stay for the town.

I will be perfectly honest, I stumbled upon saffron Walden somewhat by accident. I had visited the wonderful Audley End stately home (see tip), and just wandered into the town for a look round.

There wwas an Iron Age settlement here, followed in turn by the Romans and Anglo-Saxons but the town basically grew up around the market, one of the oldest in Essex which was founded in 1141 or thereabouts. Although many commodities were traded, saffron, required for the wool trade, was the predominant one, giving rise to the somewhat unusual name of the place. Subsequently malt and barley replaced saffron as the principal crop n the area. the town continued to flourish through the 19th and 20th centuries.

I found Saffron Walden to be a very pleasant old market town, with good shopping and restaurant facilities and some nice pubs. I really must go back some day when I have more time for a proper look round, and I would recommend you to do the same.

• In a nutshell:A very pleasant medieaval town.
  • Last visit to Saffron Walden: Jun 2007
  • Intro Written Jun 16, 2007

• St_Vincent's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2007 at 4:31 AM

I've not been to Saffron Walden but i'm sure if I ever do I'll search out the Old English Gentleman. Cheers, Clive

planxty

“Where's the bar?”

Badges & Stats in Saffron Walden

Have you been to Saffron Walden?

Latest Activity in Saffron Walden