"A great deal of history." Top 5 Page for this destination St Albans by planxty
St Albans Travel Guide: 188 reviews and 484 photos
St. Albans today is a bustling market town, effectively a dormitory town for people who work in London. It lies a mere 20 minute train journey from the capital and as such makes it an easily accessible place to visit for a day trip. There is wealth of history here dating from Iron Age times right through the Roman period when it was a very important place. Only London and Colchester were more important centres in Roman Britain. There is a grand Norman Cathedral containing a shrine to the first English martyr for whom the city is named. There are pleasant parks, good shopping facilities and many restaurants and bars.
Altogether a great place to spend a day.
Another example of the large Roman influence on St. Albans is to be found slightly away from the centre (past S.... more travel advice
My St. Albans page is rapidly becoming a pub guide to the city, but it is difficult to avoid given the quality, historic... more travel advice
planxty's Related Pages
St Albans Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A great deal of history."
- "St Albans - Roman Verulamium"
- "One super terrific day!"
- "St Albans - an Historic City"
- "I've finally laid my hat"
- "St. Albans"
- "St Albans"
- See All...
- Things to Do in St Albans
- Hotels in St Albans
- Transportation in St Albans
- Nightlife in St Albans
- Restaurants in St Albans
- Shopping in St Albans
- Warnings and Dangers in St Albans
- See All...
Badges & Stats in St Albans
- 23 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (203)
Have you been to St Albans?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in St Albans
Photos in St AlbansSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 233 reviews, 897 photos, 50 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 35 reviews, 177 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 51 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Halifax Intro, 37 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sherbrooke Intro, 10 reviews, 134 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos