"More to it than you might think." Staines by planxty
Staines Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 36 photos
Staines lies essentially Southwest of London, about 40 minutes by train from London Waterloo, and is now effectively a dormitory comuter town. It does, however, have a more interesting history than that.
The name itself may derive from the old English word for the stones, commemorating a monolith at Stanwell. What is more certain is that the Romans settled here c. 43AD and built at least one bridge over the river Thames. The present day bridge is still an important crossing point.
Later the place was mentioned in the Domesday Book as Stanes, and later, in 1215, the barons assembled here before the met King John at nearby Runnymede where the historic Magna Carta was signed.
Later the town was famous a a producer of linoleum, as commemorated in the statue in the pedestrian precinct in the centre.
Without being unkind, it is not really the place a tourist might choose to visit, although it is a pleasant enough place to spend a day, with well defined river walks, a couple of shopping centres, and a disproportionate amount of excellent restaurants which you can read about in my tips.
- Pros:Close to London and Heathrow airport. Good restaurant selection.
- Cons:Not much to do.
- In a nutshell:Some history, now mainly a suburb.
Staines entire raison d'etre is that it was an ancient crossing place of the River Thames. Readers of my other pages... more travel advice
Isn't it strange how you can think you know a place and not really know it at all? I visit Staines pretty regularly, and... more travel advice
planxty's Related Pages
Staines Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "More to it than you might think."
- "Staines, jewel of the west"
- "BOATING ON THE THAMES"
- "Staines - Gateway to the World"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Staines
- Hotels in Staines
- Transportation in Staines
- Nightlife in Staines
- Restaurants in Staines
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Staines
- 11 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (84)
Have you been to Staines?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Staines
Photos in StainesSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 225 reviews, 725 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 45 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues
- Durham Intro, 21 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 33 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 22 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Armagh Intro, 20 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues