"History, history and more history." Top 5 Page for this destination Winchester by planxty

Winchester Travel Guide: 186 reviews and 381 photos

More than a day trip

Winchester, situated some 63 miles South of London, and 12 North of Southampton is one of my favourite day trips out of London, although, in fairness, there is far more to see and do than you could ever achieve in a single day.

Lovers of military history are well-catered for with no less than six military museums in this traditionally military town.

It is an ancient settlement, once the de facto capital of England and home to many museums, a wonderful cathedral, ancient buildings, friendly pubs and a lot more.

• Pros:Museums, pleasant pubs, convenient for London.
  • Cons:Difficult to drive round
  • In a nutshell:As much history as you could want.
  • Last visit to Winchester: Feb 2009
  • Intro Updated Apr 5, 2009

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Hi Fergy, a very interesting page, especially as you have written about so many hidden things that are not in the guidebooks! I also like your affection for quirky pubs :-)

• Martinewezel's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2009 at 5:44 AM

Winchester sounds like a lovely town. Making me curious about the decor of the Black Rat. When I ever get the chance to visit, I must go there. Thanks for sharing.

• Apr 18, 2009 at 1:37 PM

I've had the good fortune to eat in this restaurant. I also had a great time, the staff were charming and the food excellent. The real fire was also lovely on a cold night.

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2006 at 5:40 AM

Great Winchester page, it brought back so many nice memories! I was especially glad to see you tip on the Eclipse Pub (loved it) and on Jane Austen's house, of course! Jefie/Isa

• Fergie01's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2006 at 4:41 PM

Nice pics of the UK....thanks for the reminder of how things are there....greetings from Ontario Canada- Deana

• Gwynethart's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2005 at 10:55 PM

Very nice tips on Winchester! I was there for a few hours only, but I certainly look forward to another longer visit. Cheers, Gwyneth :-)

• Jul 18, 2005 at 2:18 PM

Hi Fergie, Good page on Winchester, certainly sounds interesting to engage the locals. I was wondering about the city's claim to fame, Winchester Cathedral! regards Martin

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2005 at 3:16 PM

We visit Winchester, Virginia as often as we can. That's where our daughter lives. I really enjoyed your Winchester info. The Peninsula Barracks appear very nice; do they rent them for a week or two? Thanks for visiting my New Mexico page. Marcia

• Elena_007's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2005 at 5:57 PM

Interesting page, Fergy. What exactly is a Wiltshire pasty and a brass rubbing? The pastry could be for me, but what would I get out of a rubbing? This is something new for me. ~Elaine~

planxty

“Where's the bar?”

Badges & Stats in Winchester

Have you been to Winchester?

Latest Activity in Winchester