"Wonderful Piedmontese town." Ivrea by planxty
Ivrea Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 6 photos
I have only visited Italy twice, which is perhaps surprising given my travels, especially in Europe. I visited Ivrea on my first trip and found it a pretty, if somewhat quiet, town in the Piemonte region of Northwestern Italy.
For a first visit, I found it delightful, lacking the tourist frenzy that I have heard about in Rome, Florence and Venice.
Although the town itself boasts little in the way of what might be called tourist attractions, I found that fact in itself increased it's appeal as it was a fairly gentle introduction to Italy, and a region that most people possibly would not visit except en route to somewhere else.
I was lucky to have a guide who was a native of the place and, as always, it is easier to appreciate a destination in company with someone who knows it intimately.
Nearby are some wonderful castles and lovely scenery with glorious views of the Alps. I believe, if my limited language skills do not desert me, that Piemonte means foot of the mountain or something similar. I visited in Spring and the views from around the town were truly breathtaking. The attached photo, whilst not from Ivrea itself, gives some idea of what the region has to offer.
If you do happen to be passing through this area, please do stop and spend a few hours in a lovely town. Stop for a meal or just perhaps a coffee and a wander around. You won't regret it, I promise you.
planxty's Related Pages
Ivrea Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sometimes the Lord went beyond generosity"
- "Ivrea and its carnival"
- "Wonderful Piedmontese town."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ivrea
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (226)
Have you been to Ivrea?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ivrea
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 253 reviews, 952 photos, 50 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 41 reviews, 202 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 53 reviews, 158 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 37 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sherbrooke Intro, 10 reviews, 134 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 26 reviews, 108 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues