"Wonderful Piedmontese town." Ivrea by planxty

Ivrea Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 8 photos

A pleasant Northern town.

I have only visited Italy twice, which is perhaps surprising given my travels, especially in Europe. I visited Ivrea on my first trip and found it a pretty, if somewhat quiet, town in the Piemonte region of Northwestern Italy.

For a first visit, I found it delightful, lacking the tourist frenzy that I have heard about in Rome, Florence and Venice.

Although the town itself boasts little in the way of what might be called tourist attractions, I found that fact in itself increased it's appeal as it was a fairly gentle introduction to Italy, and a region that most people possibly would not visit except en route to somewhere else.

I was lucky to have a guide who was a native of the place and, as always, it is easier to appreciate a destination in company with someone who knows it intimately.

Nearby are some wonderful castles and lovely scenery with glorious views of the Alps. I believe, if my limited language skills do not desert me, that Piemonte means foot of the mountain or something similar. I visited in Spring and the views from around the town were truly breathtaking. The attached photo, whilst not from Ivrea itself, gives some idea of what the region has to offer.

If you do happen to be passing through this area, please do stop and spend a few hours in a lovely town. Stop for a meal or just perhaps a coffee and a wander around. You won't regret it, I promise you.

• Last visit to Ivrea: Apr 2008
  • Intro Updated Jan 10, 2009

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2009 at 1:48 PM

i can see you eased into italy slowly and with due caution - wise move

planxty