"Beware of Greeks bearing ouzu!" Greece by planxty

Greece Travel Guide: 27,621 reviews and 78,568 photos

Travels with the Ancient Greek!

Having not visited Greece for about 17 years, I returned there with my (now ex) Greek Cypriot girlfriend (then affectionately known as the ancient Greek, even though she is younger than me!) at Easter 2004. We spent a couple of days in Piraeus with friends and then travelled round the Cyclades islands.

It was a wonderful time, and made me wonder why it had taken me so long to get back there.

We then managed to take a short autumn break to Crete in October 2004.

Greece really seems to have everything you would want in a holiday, no matter what your interests.

There is ample history and archaeology to satisfy even the most avid historian. There are monasteries and wonderful churches if that's your thing. The climate is wonderful, the people friendly and the food is out of this world.

And, if you just fancy lying around a swimming pool or on a beach, well, I can't think of many nicer places to do it.

We just can't keep away.

My ex-girlfriend and I used to visit either Greece or Cyprus on a regular basis, normally at Orthodox Easter time, and we returned in 2005 again.

That time we stayed with friends in Northeastern Greece (Evropos) near Thessaloniki, and had our usual wonderful time. I have now managed to get most of my new tips posted, so please have a look if you're heading that way, and you really should. My enthusiasm for this wonderful country and it's people remains entirely undiminished, despite personal circumstances.

Can't wait to get back again.

• Pros:Pleasant climate, lovely people, relaxed pace of life and the food, oh, the food.
  • Cons:Almost suicidal driving in places. Grrek hospitality which can turn a quick nightcap into an all night session!
  • In a nutshell:It's got it all.
  • Last visit to Greece: May 2005
  • Intro Updated May 17, 2009

• Sep 18, 2006 at 1:16 PM

Yummy foto :D You make our Easter seem really great, I hadn't think about it like that!

• lina112's Profile Photo