"Beware of Greeks bearing ouzu!" Greece by planxty
Greece Travel Guide: 27,491 reviews and 78,058 photos
Having not visited Greece for about 17 years, I returned there with my (now ex) Greek Cypriot girlfriend (then affectionately known as the ancient Greek, even though she is younger than me!) at Easter 2004. We spent a couple of days in Piraeus with friends and then travelled round the Cyclades islands.
It was a wonderful time, and made me wonder why it had taken me so long to get back there.
We then managed to take a short autumn break to Crete in October 2004.
Greece really seems to have everything you would want in a holiday, no matter what your interests.
There is ample history and archaeology to satisfy even the most avid historian. There are monasteries and wonderful churches if that's your thing. The climate is wonderful, the people friendly and the food is out of this world.
And, if you just fancy lying around a swimming pool or on a beach, well, I can't think of many nicer places to do it.
My ex-girlfriend and I used to visit either Greece or Cyprus on a regular basis, normally at Orthodox Easter time, and we returned in 2005 again.
That time we stayed with friends in Northeastern Greece (Evropos) near Thessaloniki, and had our usual wonderful time. I have now managed to get most of my new tips posted, so please have a look if you're heading that way, and you really should. My enthusiasm for this wonderful country and it's people remains entirely undiminished, despite personal circumstances.
Can't wait to get back again.
- Pros:Pleasant climate, lovely people, relaxed pace of life and the food, oh, the food.
- Cons:Almost suicidal driving in places. Grrek hospitality which can turn a quick nightcap into an all night session!
- In a nutshell:It's got it all.
planxty's Related Pages
Greece Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Greece - Ellada 2008"
- "Greece... as lovely as it seems!"
- "My beloved Greece..."
- "Following in the Footsteps of Paul"
- "FALLING IN LOVE WITH GREECE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Greece
- Hotels in Greece
- Transportation in Greece
- Nightlife in Greece
- Restaurants in Greece
- Shopping in Greece
- Warnings and Dangers in Greece
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Greece
- 32 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 58 Forum posts
- 8 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Greece?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Greece
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 225 reviews, 725 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 45 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues
- Durham Intro, 21 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 33 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 22 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Armagh Intro, 20 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (175)
Top Greece hotels
- Athens Hotels
- 4434 Reviews - 10105 Photos
- Santorini Island Hotels
- 1604 Reviews - 5124 Photos
- Thessaloniki Hotels
- 542 Reviews - 1523 Photos
- Crete Island Hotels
- 1430 Reviews - 3749 Photos
- Kos Hotels
- 329 Reviews - 761 Photos
- Mykonos Hotels
- 429 Reviews - 1016 Photos
- Chania Hotels
- 194 Reviews - 498 Photos
- Corfu Island Hotels
- 381 Reviews - 1228 Photos
- Rethymno Hotels
- 165 Reviews - 349 Photos
- Heraklion Hotels
- 309 Reviews - 852 Photos
- Oia Hotels
- 137 Reviews - 451 Photos
- Parga Hotels
- 144 Reviews - 397 Photos
- Elounda Hotels
- 55 Reviews - 159 Photos
- Kavala Hotels
- 81 Reviews - 252 Photos
- Alexandroupolis Hotels
- 25 Reviews - 94 Photos