"Go where the locals go." Top 5 Page for this destination Cha-am by planxty
Cha-am Travel Guide: 99 reviews and 279 photos
Some years ago I visited Hua Hin on the Gulf of Thailand, a few hours drive or train ride South from Bangkok. I thouroughly enjoyed it, although it was becoming very commercialised then with high rise hotels, Western restaurants everywhere and the usual trappings of mass tourism. Whlst I was there I was told by some local expats about a much quieter place a few miles North (i.e. closer to Bangkok) called Cha am, and although I did not manage it that trip, I have now done so, and what a lovely place it is.
Certainly there are tourists there but nothing like the concentrations in Hua Hin, and the frenzy of mass tourism seems to have largely passed it by. As I mentioned on my Bangkok page, I do like the place but having seen all the major sights, I now tend to get out of it fairly quickly.
After the long journey I wanted somewhere to just relax for a day or two and this proved an excellent choice. I am a great believer in doing what the locals do and the influx of Thai weekenders from Bangkok was enough to convince me I had made the right decision.
The town boasts a pleasant beach, some great seafood as you would imagine, and a genuinely laid back feel, the perfect antidote to the maelstrom that is the capital.
I advise you to go there before the hordes invade!
- Pros:Nice beach, good food, laid back.
- Cons:None that I can see.
- In a nutshell:Escape the ratrace of Bangkok and relax here.
Most people, when they think about the Second World War in Southeast Asia will think of the Phillipines, Malaya and... more travel advice
The chances are you will probably be coming from Bangkok to Cha am and it is a fairly simple process. There is a train... more travel advice
planxty's Related Pages
Cha-am Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CHA AM Thailand Travel and Accommodation"
- "Cha Am Beach"
- "Go where the locals go."
- "A serene resort town - ideal for relaxation."
- "Cha-Am Style"
- "Cha-Am - Fantastic place for families"
- "Facing Pataya across the bay"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cha-am
- Hotels in Cha-am
- Transportation in Cha-am
- Nightlife in Cha-am
- Restaurants in Cha-am
- Shopping in Cha-am
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cha-am
- 12 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Cha-am?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cha-am
Photos in Cha-amSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 226 reviews, 726 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 36 reviews, 179 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 45 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos
- Durham Intro, 20 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 33 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue