"Go where the locals go." Top 5 Page for this destination Cha-am by planxty

Cha-am Travel Guide: 99 reviews and 279 photos

Quiet and a good escape from Bangkok.

Some years ago I visited Hua Hin on the Gulf of Thailand, a few hours drive or train ride South from Bangkok. I thouroughly enjoyed it, although it was becoming very commercialised then with high rise hotels, Western restaurants everywhere and the usual trappings of mass tourism. Whlst I was there I was told by some local expats about a much quieter place a few miles North (i.e. closer to Bangkok) called Cha am, and although I did not manage it that trip, I have now done so, and what a lovely place it is.

Certainly there are tourists there but nothing like the concentrations in Hua Hin, and the frenzy of mass tourism seems to have largely passed it by. As I mentioned on my Bangkok page, I do like the place but having seen all the major sights, I now tend to get out of it fairly quickly.

After the long journey I wanted somewhere to just relax for a day or two and this proved an excellent choice. I am a great believer in doing what the locals do and the influx of Thai weekenders from Bangkok was enough to convince me I had made the right decision.

The town boasts a pleasant beach, some great seafood as you would imagine, and a genuinely laid back feel, the perfect antidote to the maelstrom that is the capital.

I advise you to go there before the hordes invade!

• Pros:Nice beach, good food, laid back.
  • Cons:None that I can see.
  • In a nutshell:Escape the ratrace of Bangkok and relax here.
  • Last visit to Cha-am: Nov 2009
  • Intro Written Jan 1, 2010

• Nov 22, 2010 at 12:29 PM

do you know the name of the band, especially the name of the chanteuse? she is absolutely fantastic. I was last week several time there and I have forgot to ask for it.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2010 at 7:47 AM

You are bringing back so many wonderful memories. Great tips. Really enjoyed the uncrowded beach in this area.

planxty