"Apparently I have not been there!" Top 5 Page for this destination Lampang by planxty

Lampang Travel Guide: 97 reviews and 319 photos

Horse Cart City.

I am led to believe that the Thais call this place Horse Cart City and have a saying that if you have not ridden in a horse and cart in the place, you have not really visited. On that basis, I haven't been there, although my head and my photographs are telling me that I spent a very pleasant few days there and in the surrounding area.

Most visitors will dsah North from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, and that city has much to recommend it, I love the place. A smaller proportion will head straight for Chiang Rai, another wonderful city (see seperate tips) usually on their way to the Lao border at Chiang Kong, but it appears not too many travellers manage to get to Lampang. This is a pity, as it has much to recommend it.

It is the capital of the eponymous Lampang Province although it does not feel like a major city. It has a very laid back feel, some wonderful restaurants, friendly people, some excellent sites to see nearby and is definitely worth a day or two out of your already huried itinerary for a look round.

The photo doesn't show one of the horse carts I didn't get on but rather a shot of the quaint clock tower illuminated at night.

• Last visit to Lampang: Dec 2009
  • Intro Updated Mar 1, 2011

• picek's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2010 at 6:36 AM

Hi Fergy... i just caught a moment when you're writing tips here. I hope you like Lampang as much as I do. Thanks for explaining about those bare trunks below trees. I didn't know either why it was.

planxty

“Where's the bar?”

Badges & Stats in Lampang

Have you been to Lampang?

Latest Activity in Lampang