"A relaxing seaside place." Top 5 Page for this destination Prachuap Khiri Khan by planxty
Prachuap Khiri Khan Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 74 photos
Prachuapkhirikan (spelt in various ways so don't think you have got it wrong) is the capital of the eponymously named province which encompasses the Gulf of Thailand to the East and the Burmese border to the West. Not very far West at that, for Thailand here is a mere 11 or so km. from side to side. It certainly does not have the feel of an administrative centre, rather that of a fairly sleepy seaside town where the occasional Western tourist comes and where life just seems to go on very much as I suppose it always did. Fishing boats still disgorge their catch on the pier, which are then transported to be either dried or sold in the many excellent restaurants. Without much of a beach to speak of itself, there are some magnificent stretches nearby, including the rather bizarre Wing 5, a beach resort housed in the middle of a working Thai Airforce base.
Walking round the town you do not see a lot of Westerners, those you do are generally people who have settled here rather than tourists. It is not by any means a mad party town although there is fun enough to be had if you know where to look, and the food, like most of this wonderful country, is superb. Al in all, I suggest you stop of on your mad rush South to Kamui, Tao, Phi Phi or wherever and relax and enjoy a couple of days in a lovely little seaside town.
- Pros:Laid back, great seafood, inexpensive.
- Cons:Closes down quite early.
- In a nutshell:Like Hua Hin used to be before it got destroyed.
There are many fine restaurants in Prachapkhirikan, although the traveller, if he does not speak Thai, will find himself... more travel advice
One evening in PKK I fancied a beer and plumped for a place I had heard about and seen but not visited, the MC Club... more travel advice
planxty's Related Pages
Prachuap Khiri Khan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A relaxing seaside place."
- "Great seafood"
- "Unspeakable name, but great Beaches, Foodmarket"
- "Seafood paradise"
- "Prachuap Khiri Khan Thailand"
- "Prachuap Khiri Khan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prachuap Khiri Khan
- Hotels in Prachuap Khiri Khan
- Transportation in Prachuap Khiri Khan
- Nightlife in Prachuap Khiri Khan
- Restaurants in Prachuap Khiri Khan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Prachuap Khiri Khan
- 17 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Prachuap Khiri Khan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prachuap Khiri Khan
- Posted in Travel Tórshavn Forum "Re: Tour 7 people Faroe Islands"
- Commented on one of planxty's Prachuap Khiri Khan tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Visit the fish."
- updated a Prachuap Khiri Khan Travel Page "A relaxing seaside place."
- Wrote a Review My favourite place in PKK. in Prachuap Khiri Khan Restaurants
Photos in Prachuap Khiri KhanSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 226 reviews, 726 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 36 reviews, 179 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 45 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos
- Durham Intro, 20 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 33 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue