"It is all they said it was." Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Tao by planxty
Ko Tao Travel Guide: 219 reviews and 522 photos
I had long heard tales amongst travellers about the island of Ko Tao. Unlike it's larger, more commercial neighbour Ko Samui, and the infamous Ko Phangan with it's reputation for drink and drug fuelled lunacy especially around the full moon, Ko Tao was said to be a really relaxed place to go, and so it proved.
A small island in the Gulf of Thailand, it boasts, in it's 22 km. square, no less than 40 dive schools and it is the diving / snorkelling that attracts most travellers. The diving is very good with good coral, good visibility most of the year and an absolute plethora of fish and marine life. In a fit of midlife crisis madness, I decided, just after my 50th birthday to learn to scuba dive, and I did it. You will forgive me if I feel just a little smug here, I really thought it would not be possible at my age but now I have learned, I can't get enough of it.
Onshore you have effectively three choices. You can stay in MaeHat (Mae Haad), nearest the ferry pier which is terribly quiet and closes down at about 10p.m. You can move about a 20 minute walk along the coast to the main resort of Sairee, where most of the dive centres are, which is a bit of a party town and goes on half the night or, if your budget allows, you can move right out of town and stay in one of the many new resorts / spas that are springing up, seemingly without any planning regulation. Your choice.
What I would say is that if you want to visit, do it soon, as it is a pretty open secret now and, in search of the tourist dollar, it will undoubtedly go the way of so many others before it.
- Pros:Great diving and as much or little nightlife as you want.
- Cons:Infrastructure is still fairly weak.
- In a nutshell:Come for the diving, stay for the fun.
I only ate there once, in the mid afternoon, and it was consequently fairly quiet, although it gets busier in the... more travel advice
There are several minimarts dotted around Sairee but I found this one to be particularly good. From a relatively small... more travel advice
planxty's Related Pages
Ko Tao Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Otherwise known as 'Heaven on Earth'"
- "It is all they said it was."
- "Ko Tao - Turtle Island"
- "No Kow Towing In Koh Tao"
- "Koh Tao"
- "Koh Tao"
- "Welcome to Turtle Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ko Tao
- Hotels in Ko Tao
- Transportation in Ko Tao
- Nightlife in Ko Tao
- Restaurants in Ko Tao
- Shopping in Ko Tao
- Warnings and Dangers in Ko Tao
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ko Tao
- 21 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Ko Tao?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ko Tao
Photos in Ko TaoSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 229 reviews, 791 photos, 38 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 35 reviews, 177 photos, 6 travelogues
- Halifax Intro, 37 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 45 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sherbrooke Intro, 10 reviews, 134 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos