"Beware of Trat." Trat by planxty
Trat Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 49 photos
Trat is the Provincial capital of the eponymous state which lies to the extreme East of the ocuntry, bordering Cambodia. The state comprises both mainland and a chain of islands, principally Ko Chang, which make up the protected National Park. Trat town certainly does not give the impression of being a major administrative centre, rather a somewhat somnolent market town, and herein lies the problem giving rise to the title of this introduction.
There is nothing to do in Trat, and I mean nothing. I am writing this in a small cafe watching the world drift slowly by and, thus far it has taken me about a week to work out that there is nothing to do here. It is one of those places where you intend to stay a day or two to recharge the bateries after travelling and suddenly find you have been there a lot longer than that. There are a good selection of accomodation, eating and drinking options for the traveller, mostly centred around the "old town" which, in reality comprises of about two smallish streets but you can spend a very relaxing day just flitting from cafe to cafe, reading a book, enjoying a coffee and chatting to people. Come sundown, you can enjoy a meal in one of the several very good reataurants, have a beer and ocntemplate which cafe you are going to have breakfast in the next day.
Most people only ever fly through Trat quickly en route to or from Cambodia or the islands mentioned above. Stop here for a few days, you'll enjoy it.
- Pros:A great, really relaxing place.
- Cons:Absolutely nothing to do.
- In a nutshell:You can spend a lot of time doing nothing here.
If you are cooming from Hat Lek on the Cambodian border as I was, you will be deposited at the new bus station on the... more travel advice
Orchid guesthouse. This is yet another one of the multi-functional places so common in Southeast Asia and I could... more travel advice
planxty's Related Pages
Trat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beware of Trat."
- "falling in love in trat"
- "SURVIVAL TOUR SEPTEMBER 2005-TRAT"
- "My First Refugee Camp"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Trat
- Hotels in Trat
- Transportation in Trat
- Nightlife in Trat
- Restaurants in Trat
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Trat
- 11 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Trat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trat
Photos in TratSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 226 reviews, 726 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 36 reviews, 179 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 45 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos
- Durham Intro, 20 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 33 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue