"A very wonderful place." Top 5 Page for this destination Bacolod by planxty

Bacolod Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 305 photos

I really enjoyed it here.

I hadn't really planned to go to Bacolod but then again I hadn't planned not to. If this sounds a little odd, let me explain. My primary reason for visiting the Philippines was to attend the 2012 VT meet on Boracay and premeet in Manila, both of which were superb occasions and after that I had no set plans, I only knew I had a total of about three and a half months to see the place. I really do like to to travel that way, it suits me.

Anyway, at the Boracay meet, I had met the delightful buenababe (VT member Buena, and she had mentioned that I might want to visit Bacolod, which is her home town. There was an expedition planned to climb a local volcano but unfortunately this did not materialise for me due to a few red tape issues. However, I went anyway and had a delightful few days in a very fun city.

I do not want to embarrass the lady but I have to say that she and her non VT friends were the absolutely perfect hosts. They met me from the ferry, drove me around, took me for dinner, so thanks again folks. One of the many things that they told me (admittedly they are residents) was that Bacolod has been voted the most "livable" city in the Philippines and I don't doubt it. It is not too large but big enough to be interesting, the pollution is nowhere near as bad as somewhere like Manila, people are friendly, even by the usual friendly Philippino standards and there just seems to be a delightful atmospere about the place.

I do not believe this place is much visited by travellers but I would urge those of you considering a Philippines itinerary to think about it for a few days, it really is worth it.

It was not specifically planned this way but my visit coincided with Chinese Lunar New Year which, In Bacolod, is celebrated with the rather wittily named Bacolodiat festival. This is basically three days of street parties, live music, eating, drinking and general revelry and it was superb. Having missed the Ati Atihan festival in Kalibo due to illness, I was really glad to be able to particiapte in one of the fiestas for which the Philippines is rightly famous.

• Pros:Very laid back town, safe and friendly.
  • Cons:I cannot think of anything negative about the place.
  • In a nutshell:I really enjoyed it here and want to return soon.
  • Last visit to Bacolod: Jan 2012
  • Intro Updated Feb 3, 2012

• i-s-a's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2012 at 6:00 AM

lovely bacolod page fergy ... have to check the place myself and visit buena. i hope it would be soon!

• buenababe's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Ahhh wonderful Bacolod page Fergy!!! ;) so glad you like it here... and yeah, you're in top5 now! i remember you telling me something about it.haha! =)) Let me know when will you be back, we'll have a case of ice cold beer for you! ;)

• asianbelle's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2012 at 2:25 AM

hi fergy. the last time i checked the forum, you were somewhere near dumaguete. there was a strong earthquake in negros before noon today and i hope you were safe and not in any danger.

planxty

“Where's the bar?”

Badges & Stats in Bacolod

Have you been to Bacolod?

Latest Activity in Bacolod