"A very wonderful place." Top 5 Page for this destination Bacolod by planxty
Bacolod Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 305 photos
I hadn't really planned to go to Bacolod but then again I hadn't planned not to. If this sounds a little odd, let me explain. My primary reason for visiting the Philippines was to attend the 2012 VT meet on Boracay and premeet in Manila, both of which were superb occasions and after that I had no set plans, I only knew I had a total of about three and a half months to see the place. I really do like to to travel that way, it suits me.
Anyway, at the Boracay meet, I had met the delightful buenababe (VT member Buena, and she had mentioned that I might want to visit Bacolod, which is her home town. There was an expedition planned to climb a local volcano but unfortunately this did not materialise for me due to a few red tape issues. However, I went anyway and had a delightful few days in a very fun city.
I do not want to embarrass the lady but I have to say that she and her non VT friends were the absolutely perfect hosts. They met me from the ferry, drove me around, took me for dinner, so thanks again folks. One of the many things that they told me (admittedly they are residents) was that Bacolod has been voted the most "livable" city in the Philippines and I don't doubt it. It is not too large but big enough to be interesting, the pollution is nowhere near as bad as somewhere like Manila, people are friendly, even by the usual friendly Philippino standards and there just seems to be a delightful atmospere about the place.
I do not believe this place is much visited by travellers but I would urge those of you considering a Philippines itinerary to think about it for a few days, it really is worth it.
It was not specifically planned this way but my visit coincided with Chinese Lunar New Year which, In Bacolod, is celebrated with the rather wittily named Bacolodiat festival. This is basically three days of street parties, live music, eating, drinking and general revelry and it was superb. Having missed the Ati Atihan festival in Kalibo due to illness, I was really glad to be able to particiapte in one of the fiestas for which the Philippines is rightly famous.
- Pros:Very laid back town, safe and friendly.
- Cons:I cannot think of anything negative about the place.
- In a nutshell:I really enjoyed it here and want to return soon.
As far as I can see, Shakey's is a pretty large chain of franchises in the Philippines, they seem to be everywhere. I am... more travel advice
Readers of my pages, particularly my Asian pages, are probably heartily sick of me writing tips about markets, markets... more travel advice
planxty's Related Pages
Bacolod Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ON......CHASING.......MASSKARA FESTIVAL 2011"
- "A very wonderful place."
- "Where My Heart Will Always Be..."
- "Bacolod, the place am FORCE to live IN!"
- "The land that sugar built"
- "BACOLOD | Will Definitely Go Back"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bacolod
- Hotels in Bacolod
- Transportation in Bacolod
- Nightlife in Bacolod
- Restaurants in Bacolod
- Shopping in Bacolod
- Warnings and Dangers in Bacolod
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bacolod
- 12 Reviews
- 78 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (202)
Have you been to Bacolod?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bacolod
Photos in BacolodSee All Photos (78)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 233 reviews, 887 photos, 48 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 35 reviews, 177 photos, 6 travelogues
- Halifax Intro, 37 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 45 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sherbrooke Intro, 10 reviews, 134 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos