"A long and bloody history." Corregidor Island by planxty
Corregidor Island Travel Guide: 242 reviews and 910 photos
I remember as a child being fascinated by all things military and the Second World War in particular. Various names were connected with bloody battles, valour and, unfotunately, the huge dath toll that accompanies such things. land of Corregidor was one such name, having been about the last place to fall to the invading Japanese after fierce fighting. General Douglas MacArthur is a name that is synonymous with the place, and he figures heavily in any history of Corregidor.
What I was unaware of, however, was the much older history involving the Spanish occupiers from centuries ago. I suppose they realised, as did the Americans much later, the strategic value of the Corregidor controlling, as it does, Manila Bay and thus Manila itself.
I do not intend to go into too much detail in this introduction as I have constructed a series of seven travelogues where I will attempt to explain more fully what I saw and learnt on what was a fascintaing day trip, albeit a rather damp one as it rained continuously.
I spoke of Gen. MacArthure and here is his statue close to the place where he took ship when leaving the Philippines.
This is the hugely impressive Malinta Tunnel complex, initially the American HQ on the island and temporarily the seat of Government for the Philippines.
- Pros:A fascinating historical tour.
- Cons:Unfortunately, not all the island is accessible.
- In a nutshell:If you are in Manila, you really should see this.
planxty's Related Pages
Corregidor Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Corregidor - Island of Bravery and Honour"
- "The Rock"
- "Corregidor: Fortress of Freedom"
- "Corregidor Island"
- "CORREGIDOR ISLAND"
- "Corregidor, Bastion of Freedom Fighters"
- "CORREGIDOR: THE LAST REFUGE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Corregidor Island
- Hotels in Corregidor Island
- Transportation in Corregidor Island
- Nightlife in Corregidor Island
- Restaurants in Corregidor Island
- Shopping in Corregidor Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Corregidor Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Corregidor Island
- 1 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (66)
Have you been to Corregidor Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Corregidor Island
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- Commented on one of planxty's Corregidor Island travelogues
- updated a Corregidor Island Travelogue "Daytrip to Corregidor (6)."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Daytrip to Corregidor (7)."
- Wrote a Review Take the day trip. in Corregidor Island Things to Do
Photos in Corregidor IslandSee All Photos (63)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 220 reviews, 562 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 38 reviews, 89 photos, 2 travelogues
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 21 reviews, 101 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 33 reviews, 78 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 22 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Armagh Intro, 20 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues
- Manila Intro, 21 reviews, 80 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brno Intro, 20 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues