"An interesting introduction." Manila by planxty
Manila Travel Guide: 2,240 reviews and 5,535 photos
Like most people visiting the Philippines, I flew into Manila, the capital. I had read a few things about the place but had deliberately avoided reading too much as I do not like to have pre-conceived ideas about a city.
The Philippines was virgin territory to me, despite my having wanted to come here for many years. I had heard stories about the terrible pollution and appalling traffic, both of whic pre-conceptions proved to be true. Yes, the traffic is that bad and the pollution is appalling.
However, and I was lucky enough to be staying out of the main tourist areas, it is a city with huge hearrt and people here are really friendly if you approach them in the right manner. Undoubtedly there are scams going on but I found myself universally greeted with smiles, helpful advice and generally a good time all round.
Undoubtedly, capital cities have the potential to be dangerous but I felt as comfortable walking arond Santa Cruz (where my Filipina friend was appalled I was walking alone late at night) as I would in my home city of London.
In short, if you visit the Philippines, you are almost bound to be in Manila. Certainly, use the normal precautions but do not be freaked out by some of the completely erroneous scaremongering you may find on the net or in guidebooks. It is not a bad place and a smile, like so many other places, will get you a long way.
- Pros:The capital, and you are bound to end up there.
- Cons:Traffic and the attendant pollution.
- In a nutshell:Forget what you have read, it is a great place.
I am entering somewhat unknown territory here, sp please bear with me. Readers of my other pages will know that whilst I... more travel advice
In the six months I had been in the Philippines I had noted their love for coffee and indeed there is some very good... more travel advice
planxty's Related Pages
Manila Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mabuhay, Welcome to Manila!"
- "Manila, love or hate"
- "Capital of the Philippines"
- "Aliwan Fiesta 2011: Ilonggo's Pride and Victory"
- "Love It Or Leave It..."
- "IMPREXXION: MANILA"
- "Capital City of the Philippines"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Manila
- Hotels in Manila
- Transportation in Manila
- Nightlife in Manila
- Restaurants in Manila
- Shopping in Manila
- Warnings and Dangers in Manila
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Manila
- 21 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 22 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (226)
Have you been to Manila?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manila
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 254 reviews, 957 photos, 50 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 41 reviews, 202 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 53 reviews, 158 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 37 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sherbrooke Intro, 10 reviews, 134 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 26 reviews, 108 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues