"Witches in wonderland." Top 5 Page for this destination Siquijor Island by planxty

Siquijor Island Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 144 photos

It's inevitable, I'm afraid.

Mention the word Siquijor to any Visayan, or indeed Philippino and the firs tthing they will say in return is, "Witches". There is a complete and powerful belief that there are people, generally women, on Siquijor who can do magic and curse you. I know Philippinos, intelligent people, who will still talk in slightly hushed tones about the place. The power of the myth is strong. The island's authorities are very keen to play down the notion (see the second image) but it does add to the allure of the place. Let's be honest, any place I visit where 50 yards off the ferry I see an official poster offering a hotline to report black magic practices is good for me.

Did I find any witches? Well no, at least not to my knowledge. What I did find was a delightful island with an excellent circumferential road, some beautiful beaches, a lovely mountain interior and typically friendly Philippino people. The Island of Fire, as it is known, really is a delight.

There is nothing here in the way of the hedonistic delights of, say, Boracay, it is just not a party island in that style. The newest province in the Philippines (I believe), it offers a very relaxing beach holiday, a few dive resorts, some decent thing to see in the interior and an all round very pleasant experience.

To try to assist you in navigating round VT whi8ch I know can be difficult at first, you may wish to look at the following pages, all of which deal with various places here. They are (in alphabetical order) Enrique Villanueva, Larena, Maria, San Juan and Siquijor. I know this might seem confusing but I hope it assists.

You really should visit if you can.

• Pros:Good beaches, interesting interior, friendly people.
  • Cons:Well, the witches might get you.
  • In a nutshell:The magic certainly captured my heart.
  • Last visit to Siquijor Island: Feb 2012
  • Intro Updated Apr 13, 2012

• davidjo's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2014 at 12:46 AM

wonderful island, nearly bought land here 24 yrs ago

• planxty's Profile Photo
      Jan 23, 2014 at 1:21 AM

I liked it although I think it would be a bit quiet for me.

• buenababe's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2012 at 9:27 PM

wow, so you've been to siquijor?!! great!! ;) i like it the beaches there, simply beautiful...

• Rastarigo's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2012 at 9:04 AM

one day i'll be able to visit and see this witchy wonderland

planxty

“Where's the bar?”

Badges & Stats in Siquijor Island

Have you been to Siquijor Island?

Latest Activity in Siquijor Island