"Witches in wonderland." Siquijor Island by planxty
Siquijor Island Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 119 photos
Mention the word Siquijor to any Visayan, or indeed Philippino and the firs tthing they will say in return is, "Witches". There is a complete and powerful belief that there are people, generally women, on Siquijor who can do magic and curse you. I know Philippinos, intelligent people, who will still talk in slightly hushed tones about the place. The power of the myth is strong. The island's authorities are very keen to play down the notion (see the second image) but it does add to the allure of the place. Let's be honest, any place I visit where 50 yards off the ferry I see an official poster offering a hotline to report black magic practices is good for me.
Did I find any witches? Well no, at least not to my knowledge. What I did find was a delightful island with an excellent circumferential road, some beautiful beaches, a lovely mountain interior and typically friendly Philippino people. The Island of Fire, as it is known, really is a delight.
There is nothing here in the way of the hedonistic delights of, say, Boracay, it is just not a party island in that style. The newest province in the Philippines (I believe), it offers a very relaxing beach holiday, a few dive resorts, some decent thing to see in the interior and an all round very pleasant experience.
To try to assist you in navigating round VT whi8ch I know can be difficult at first, you may wish to look at the following pages, all of which deal with various places here. They are (in alphabetical order) Enrique Villanueva, Larena, Maria, San Juan and Siquijor. I know this might seem confusing but I hope it assists.
You really should visit if you can.
- Pros:Good beaches, interesting interior, friendly people.
- Cons:Well, the witches might get you.
- In a nutshell:The magic certainly captured my heart.
Before anyone contacts me, yes this is a cut and paste from my introduction page but I don't believe in duplicating... more travel advice
I had decided to go to Siquijor and ride round it, staying one night and then returning to Negros where I was based.... more travel advice
planxty's Related Pages
Siquijor Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Siquijor: get away from it all..."
- "Mystic Island!"
- "Witches in wonderland."
- "Siquijor: The Mystical Island"
- "Siquijor... so friendly"
- "Siquijor island - Off the beaten track"
- "Siquijor Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Siquijor Island
- Hotels in Siquijor Island
- Transportation in Siquijor Island
- Nightlife in Siquijor Island
- Restaurants in Siquijor Island
- Shopping in Siquijor Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Siquijor Island
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Siquijor Island
- 4 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (66)
Have you been to Siquijor Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Siquijor Island
Photos in Siquijor IslandSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 220 reviews, 562 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 38 reviews, 89 photos, 2 travelogues
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 33 reviews, 78 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 22 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Armagh Intro, 20 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues
- Manila Intro, 21 reviews, 80 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brno Intro, 20 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bristol Intro, 15 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues