"So much more than the Jars." Top 5 Page for this destination Ban Phonsavan by planxty

Ban Phonsavan Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 101 photos

Come for the Jars and stay for the rest.

There is no doubt that the nearby Plain of Jars is the major draw of Phonsavanh, and rightly so, they are very impressive. Indeed, one of my only real plans on my current trip was to see them, and I am very glad I did, they truly are an archaeological wonder.

However, there is a lot more to the place, as I hope my tips indicate but the visitor's over-riding memory of the city and surrounding area will probably be of the bombs, which are truly ubiquitous. I know in my tips I make many mentions of them but not to do so would be like discussing Ireland without pubs! I only managed to spend a few days here but could happily have spent much longer. The city itself (really more of a town) has a nice relaxed feel, there are some good food options and the surrounding countryside is truly magnificant.

• Last visit to Ban Phonsavan: Jan 2010
  • Intro Written Jan 27, 2010

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2012 at 2:36 AM

After visiting Phonsavanh several months ago (yes, I'll get around to doing a page soon, I promise myself), visiting your page brought it all back and added extra details. A fascinating place and a great page about it.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2010 at 4:22 AM

The Plain of Jars sounds to be a very interesting place to visit, and so does the Tai Dam Village! I hope to go to Laos one day!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2010 at 7:12 PM

oh yes. phonsavan is certainly one very interesting place.

• picek's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2010 at 4:39 AM

You have done another great site here (again:) - it is delightful reading, kept me busy for some time:) You also know how to find interesting places, such as cemetaries. If I go back there, I will have to remember your tips:) Have a great time! Vesna

planxty

“Where's the bar?”

Badges & Stats in Ban Phonsavan

Have you been to Ban Phonsavan?