"Site of a wonderful site." Champasak by planxty
Champasak Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 85 photos
Champasak is, frankly, a one horse town and the horse has bolted. I don't say this to be unkind, and the one day and night I spent here was perfectly enjoyable with a decent guesthouse, a more than adequate couple of meals, my usual hanging about with locals and of course the absolute highlight, Wat Phou (Phu). Wat Phou is simply outstanding, easily on a par with certain parts of Angkor not that far away to the Southwest in neighbouring Cambodia, or the simply stunning Bagan in Burma. Whilst nowhere on the scale of the other two, it is truly staggering.
Certainly, it is quite feasible to see Wat Phou from Pakse, but on this trip, with the luxury of time and with my aging body rebelling at the thought of long bus trips, I had decided to break my whole trip down into smaller segments, stopping off at less visited places along the way. Champasak (Champasek) falls into this category. Actually, it is probably a much better way to travel affording greater opportunities in places less frequented by travellers.
Champasak would be a perfectly pleasant place to while away a couple of days by the Meking if you wanted total relaxation, although I can think of other places I would rather do that. Obviously, given the short time I spent here, tips are limited, althugh there will be a full travelogue of the Wat whenever I return home. I really have so much work to do on VT when I get back! In the meantime, here is one of the images from it, it is rather more interesting than the main street of the town itself.
Unless you come by a very circuitous route, getting to and from Champasak will involve a crossing of the Mekong as the... more travel advice
Well, this is a VT first for me. I have written so much in the main text box, I have exceeded the 10,000 character... more travel advice
planxty's Related Pages
Champasak Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Site of a wonderful site."
- "Wat Phu in Champasak"
- "Champasak - there is more to see then just ruins"
- "Champassak and Wat Phou"
- "Champasak/Pakse: old southern capital of Laos"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Champasak
- Hotels in Champasak
- Transportation in Champasak
- Restaurants in Champasak
- Shopping in Champasak
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Champasak
- 5 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (84)
Have you been to Champasak?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Champasak
Photos in ChampasakSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 225 reviews, 725 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 45 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues
- Durham Intro, 21 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 33 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 22 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Armagh Intro, 20 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues