"Site of a wonderful site." Champasak by planxty

Champasak Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 85 photos

You should stop off here.

Champasak is, frankly, a one horse town and the horse has bolted. I don't say this to be unkind, and the one day and night I spent here was perfectly enjoyable with a decent guesthouse, a more than adequate couple of meals, my usual hanging about with locals and of course the absolute highlight, Wat Phou (Phu). Wat Phou is simply outstanding, easily on a par with certain parts of Angkor not that far away to the Southwest in neighbouring Cambodia, or the simply stunning Bagan in Burma. Whilst nowhere on the scale of the other two, it is truly staggering.

Certainly, it is quite feasible to see Wat Phou from Pakse, but on this trip, with the luxury of time and with my aging body rebelling at the thought of long bus trips, I had decided to break my whole trip down into smaller segments, stopping off at less visited places along the way. Champasak (Champasek) falls into this category. Actually, it is probably a much better way to travel affording greater opportunities in places less frequented by travellers.

Champasak would be a perfectly pleasant place to while away a couple of days by the Meking if you wanted total relaxation, although I can think of other places I would rather do that. Obviously, given the short time I spent here, tips are limited, althugh there will be a full travelogue of the Wat whenever I return home. I really have so much work to do on VT when I get back! In the meantime, here is one of the images from it, it is rather more interesting than the main street of the town itself.

• Last visit to Champasak: Jan 2010
  • Intro Written Feb 18, 2010

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2010 at 2:23 PM

i don't really know if i like the city of champasak that much but i find the region very facinating.

planxty

“Where's the bar?”

Badges & Stats in Champasak

Have you been to Champasak?

Latest Activity in Champasak