"World Heritage wonderland." Top 5 Page for this destination Luang Prabang by planxty
Luang Prabang Travel Guide: 1,101 reviews and 2,808 photos
I first visited Luang Prabang or LP, as travellers here tend to refer to it, seven years ago. I was amazed by it then and continue to be amazed by it now. It was, for some time, the capital of Lao until that function was removed to Vientiane, but for many Lao it remains the religious and cultural heart of the nation.
It is a UN World Heritage site, a fact of which the residents are justifiably proud. There are wats (temples) on virtually every corner, many of great religious significance to Buddhists. It also enjoys a very scenic location at the confluence of the Meking and Nam Ou rivers, and the sunsets over the former can be striking.
The UNESCO site has much more information and is worth a visit.
Luang Prabang UNESCO page.
What I did notice in the period since I was last here is the huge boom in tourist related services. There are many more hotels and guesthouses, most of the restaurants offer Western menus and there are many more bars catering to the travelling classes. In fairness it has not detracted much from the inherent charm of this wonderful city. It remains a place well worthy of a visit.
Most visitors to Luang Prabang will visit the Pak Ou caves about 25 km upstream from the city and rightly so because... more travel advice
Martin's Bar. I wandered into this place one afternoon for a beer purely by virtue of the fact there was some decent... more travel advice
planxty's Related Pages
Luang Prabang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "It Really is the Jewel of the Jewel of SE Asia"
- "Luang Prabang: The Cheeky Monk"
- "A rare jewel in the Mekong Jungles"
- "World Heritage wonderland."
- "IMPREXXION: LUANG PRABANG"
- "Luang Prabang ~ Charming Town By the Mekong River"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Luang Prabang
- Hotels in Luang Prabang
- Transportation in Luang Prabang
- Nightlife in Luang Prabang
- Restaurants in Luang Prabang
- Shopping in Luang Prabang
- Warnings and Dangers in Luang Prabang
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Luang Prabang
- 34 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (223)
Have you been to Luang Prabang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Luang Prabang
Photos in Luang PrabangSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 253 reviews, 952 photos, 50 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 40 reviews, 197 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 53 reviews, 158 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 37 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sherbrooke Intro, 10 reviews, 134 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 26 reviews, 108 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues