"A pleasant riverside town." Top 5 Page for this destination Savannakhet by planxty
Savannakhet Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 46 photos
I have to be brutally honest here and say there really is not a huge amount to do in Savannakhet, but it is a very pleasant place to do nothing in. Yet another town on the banks of the mighty Mekong river, it does not have quite the fading colonial feel of Thakhek, although it is bigger an livelier and makes a nice place for a day or two's break en-route from Vientiane to the 4,00 islands and the Cambodian border, or indeed vice versa.
The Savannakhet Touyrist people are trying very hard to promote tourism in the area, specifically ecotourism which they are spending a lot of time on, and they may possibly try to oversell the "attractions" a little when in truth the main attraction for me was the absolutely beautiful scenery which begins just about at the edge of the city.
It is at the start of a major route (Highway 9) leading to Vietnam and there is a noticeable Vietnamese influence alongside a large Chinese community. You will notice many of the signs are at least bilingual if not trilingual. On the other side of the Mekong is Thailand, so add that into the mix and you have a fairly poyglot sort of a place. Many of the Thais are attracted by the gambling allowed here, notably by the slightly grandly named Savan Vegas complex. It is not quite that but you get the idea.
- Pros:Nice place to relax.
- Cons:Not a whole lot to do, except relax!
- In a nutshell:You may just stay longer than you thought.
This tip is about Phonsim Turlte Lake, so readers of my tips knowing the way my mind works, will already have divined... more travel advice
That Ing Hang is a place of great religious significance to the Lao, and is second only in importance in Southern Lao to... more travel advice
planxty's Related Pages
Savannakhet Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Crossroads between Thailand and Vietnam"
- "A pleasant riverside town."
- "A little break on our drive south."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Savannakhet
- Hotels in Savannakhet
- Transportation in Savannakhet
- Nightlife in Savannakhet
- Restaurants in Savannakhet
- Shopping in Savannakhet
- Warnings and Dangers in Savannakhet
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Savannakhet
- 18 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (204)
Have you been to Savannakhet?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Savannakhet
Photos in SavannakhetSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 233 reviews, 897 photos, 50 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 35 reviews, 177 photos, 6 travelogues
- Halifax Intro, 37 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 45 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sherbrooke Intro, 10 reviews, 134 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos