"A road, literally, less travelled." Magwe by planxty

Magwe Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 36 photos

You take the High Road, and I'll take the Low Road

So goes the old Scottish song about Loch Lomond. If you are travelling North from Yangon towards Bagan ( a fairly normal travellers itinerary) the buses tend to use the "high" road. I decided on a more leisurely approach and went via Pyay (Pyi / Prome) and Magwe, spending a night in each.

There are limited options for foreigners to stay (two licensed establishments) and I think these two facts combine to make it a place where you really are an object of curiosity.

The youngsters openly stare at you, and when I went for a meal (see restaurant tip), I literally had a gaggle of waiters hovering round staring - not offensively, just out of curiosity, I think.

Magwe, also spelt Magway and Magwey, is the capital of the Division (administrative area) of the same name. It is a town of about 300,000 souls and is quite nondescript really, although pleasant enough for one or two days.

If you don't fancy the longish overnight bus ride to Bagan, and if time isn't a factor, I would recommend this slower route with one caveat. Do NOT, and I can't stress this enough, do NOT get the Hilux jeep from Magwe to Bagan inless you are of a seriously masochistic turn of mind. i will post a tip about this in the transportation section for Nyaung U (the main tourist town for Bagan).

Perhaps it was just coincidence, but I did see the most dramatic sunset I saw in the whole country here, and that, for me, would be reason enough for coming.

Here are a few photos of some of some of the lovely people I met in Magwe.

• Pros:Quiet, relaxed, friendly and definitely not touristy.
  • Cons:Not a huge amount to do.
  • In a nutshell:A relaxing day or two would be enough.
  • Last visit to Magwe: Feb 2006
  • Intro Updated Mar 3, 2006

• alza's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2011 at 3:04 PM

funniest thing I read this nightlife tip, especially your incredulity at what's going on...looks pretty clean compared to OUR Star Academy shows where aspiring stars are practically "nakid" haha! the skies sure dress up too over there, great shot!

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2007 at 12:39 PM

Actually Dragon Lake and the fashion show at Monalisar 2 look interesting. I wonder what the full story is behind each.

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2006 at 2:25 PM

these evening skies hitting you smack bang in the face. Christchurch can show of with that phenomenon too:-) lovely page relaxed page. tks for sharing

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2006 at 7:33 AM

I missed this place, but I certainly hope to go back to Burma one day. And yes...as mentioned before: amazing pics!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2006 at 2:50 PM

great pics!

• MM212's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2006 at 9:04 AM

Incredible Pictures!

• Mar 3, 2006 at 10:25 PM

Those skies are unbelievable Fergy, amazing photos!! Great attempt at "arty pics" too ;-))

planxty