"A road, literally, less travelled." Magwe by planxty
Magwe Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 36 photos
So goes the old Scottish song about Loch Lomond. If you are travelling North from Yangon towards Bagan ( a fairly normal travellers itinerary) the buses tend to use the "high" road. I decided on a more leisurely approach and went via Pyay (Pyi / Prome) and Magwe, spending a night in each.
There are limited options for foreigners to stay (two licensed establishments) and I think these two facts combine to make it a place where you really are an object of curiosity.
The youngsters openly stare at you, and when I went for a meal (see restaurant tip), I literally had a gaggle of waiters hovering round staring - not offensively, just out of curiosity, I think.
Magwe, also spelt Magway and Magwey, is the capital of the Division (administrative area) of the same name. It is a town of about 300,000 souls and is quite nondescript really, although pleasant enough for one or two days.
If you don't fancy the longish overnight bus ride to Bagan, and if time isn't a factor, I would recommend this slower route with one caveat. Do NOT, and I can't stress this enough, do NOT get the Hilux jeep from Magwe to Bagan inless you are of a seriously masochistic turn of mind. i will post a tip about this in the transportation section for Nyaung U (the main tourist town for Bagan).
Perhaps it was just coincidence, but I did see the most dramatic sunset I saw in the whole country here, and that, for me, would be reason enough for coming.
Here are a few photos of some of some of the lovely people I met in Magwe.
- Pros:Quiet, relaxed, friendly and definitely not touristy.
- Cons:Not a huge amount to do.
- In a nutshell:A relaxing day or two would be enough.
Waiting for my pick-up from the bus station in Magwe, I decided on a bit of lunch, and went to the Khin Min Thu... more travel advice
In the words of the old Flanders & Swann song, "Mud, mud, glorious mud Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood So... more travel advice
planxty's Related Pages
Magwe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A road, literally, less travelled."
- "An interesting break on the way south from Bagan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Magwe
- Hotels in Magwe
- Transportation in Magwe
- Nightlife in Magwe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Magwe
- 8 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Magwe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Magwe
Photos in MagweSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 229 reviews, 791 photos, 38 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 35 reviews, 177 photos, 6 travelogues
- Halifax Intro, 37 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 45 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sherbrooke Intro, 10 reviews, 134 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos