"Second city but not second best." Top 5 Page for this destination Mandalay by planxty
Mandalay Travel Guide: 333 reviews and 939 photos
There are some places whose names are just magical, names heard in childhood of exotic places that conjure up images of worlds barely conceivable to the young mind. Amongst these for me Kathmandu, Ulaan Batar and Mandalay were such names. When thinking about my trip and writing these pages, I was determined to avoid the slightly obvious Kipling references, but it's almost unavoidable. As I was walking round the city (the best way to see anywhere, I think) snatches of his work kept running, unbidden, through my mind.
The second city of Myanmar (Burma), I found it in many ways more vibrant that Yangon. I think perhaps this has something to do with the ban on motorcycles and car horns in Yangon, which is so untypical of Southeast Asian cities. Mandalay has motorcycles in profusion and the attendant noise and smell of two-stroke is something inextricably linked in my mind with my favourite region in the world.
Certainly, Mandalay has nothing to compare with Shwedagon in Yangon, but then again, where has? Despite this, it is still one of the "Big Four" on most travellers itineraries, along with Bagan and Inle Lake, but it never feels overrun with travellers. Apart from the main sites, you can walk for hours and not see another Westerner. For the lucky few of us that do get there, there is certainly plenty to keep you occupied for a few days, or even longer, food and accomodation options are good and I really enjoyed the ambience of the place.
Hopefully now, I've got everything written down ( a time-consuming business as VTer's will know) and I trust it will be of benefit to other travellers.
It might seem odd posting a tip about this, as I didn't actually go inside the place. there are a number of resaons for... more travel advice
Arguably the biggest draw in Mandalay, Mahamuni Paya, also known as Payagyi (Big Paya), is a "must see" for anybody... more travel advice
planxty's Related Pages
Mandalay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mandalay y las ciudades antiguas"
- "My Road to Mandalay"
- "Second city but not second best."
- "Sunset at U Bein Bridge, Amarapura, Mandalay (1)"
- "Mandalay- a place of underlying contrasts"
- "Quite an experience"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mandalay
- Hotels in Mandalay
- Transportation in Mandalay
- Nightlife in Mandalay
- Restaurants in Mandalay
- Shopping in Mandalay
- Warnings and Dangers in Mandalay
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mandalay
- 20 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (203)
Have you been to Mandalay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mandalay
Photos in MandalaySee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 233 reviews, 897 photos, 50 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 35 reviews, 177 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broadstairs Intro, 51 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Halifax Intro, 37 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 15 reviews, 147 photos, 12 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 25 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sherbrooke Intro, 10 reviews, 134 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 29 reviews, 104 photos
- Philippines Intro, 11 reviews, 115 photos, 11 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 24 reviews, 99 photos